CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349353
Date first listed:
15-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, A443

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349353.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:13:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, A443

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Hallow
National Grid Reference:
SO 82851 57927

Details

SO 85 NW HALLOW CP A 443 (east side)

4/64 Church of St Philip and St James



II*

Parish church. 1867-9 by W J Hopkins on new site. Spire added in 1900. Red sandstone ashlar with yellow sandstone tracery, tiled roofs, parapets at gable ends with kneelers. Two bay chancel with chapel to south and vestry to north, four bay nave with clerestory and north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. Decorated style. West tower: 3 stages, angled corner buttresses with cusped gablets; south-west buttress is of increased width to incorporate stairs and has 3 slit openings; 3 strings; west doorway has pointed archway, deeply recessed and moulded, the hood mould returns to continue as string, and has nookshafts, the upper shafts almost weathered away, with foliated capitals and moulded eaves. Above is a large 5-light window with geometric tracery. The second stage has metal clockface to each elevation. Beneath the belfry stage is an imbricated frieze and above a diaper frieze and moulded cornice; between are paired, louvred 2-light openings each having nookshafts with foliated capitals and moulded bases and with hoodmould returning as string. Broach spire has corner pinnacles and four 2-light lucarnes, above which is a quatrefoil frieze between strings and 8 gablets with pointed-lobed trefoil openings, with an additional string above; at top of spire is a finial and weathercock. Nave: Traceried flying buttresses at bay divisions terminating in outer buttresses surmounted by pinnacles; 2-light windows, round clerestorey windows with varied tracery; cusped lancets to aisles and clerestorey at west end of north and south elevation; 3-light window to west elevation of aisles. South porch: Gabled with parapet and kneelers; corner angled buttresses with offsets. Doorway has pointed arch in deeply moulded and recessed surround, hood mould and foliated label stops; at sides is arcade at window height composed of 3 cusped pointed arches supported on short columns with moulded caps and bases. Chancel: corner buttresses with offsets and gablets, 2 string courses, the lower one continuing around side elevations; 3-light east window has hood mould with foliated label stops. At east end of north and south elevations is a 2-light window with hood mould and foliated label stops. South chapel: catslide roof, end buttresses with offsets, a large 2-light south window set partly within central gable and paired, pointed arch windows in the east elevation. North vestry: also has a catslide roof, tall chimney, corner buttress with offsets and an outshut to east; 2-light north window and pointed arched doorway at west end; 3 cusped lancets in east elevation. Interior: 5 pointed stone diaphragm arches to have on long shafts terminating on moulded corbels; additional stone pointed arches in aisles, the inner spandrels pierced with quatrefoils. Cusped pointed chancel arch also pierced with quatrefoils and rising from foliated corbels. Four bay arcades to aisles, of pointed arches on columns with foliated capitals and moulded bases. Chancel roof has hammerbeam trusses with pierced, cusped decoration on foliated corbels; above wall-plate is elaborate, traceried timber arcade. At lower end of chancel large, pointed archways lead into chapel to south, and contain organ to north; above northern archway is small, pointed doorway into vestry. Reredos by R Boulton; alabaster and marble. Crucifixion scene beneath highly ornate vaulted canopy surmounted by angels. Octagonal stone font by Forsyth in Butterfield style, base surrounded by 8 marble columns, bowl inlaid with ornamental tiling and much carved decoration including figure reliefs. Pulpit of stone and marble with tile inlay; carved figures beneath gabled canopy. Memorials Beneath tower monument to Edward Hill died 1616, also an early C18 one to Edward and Anne Bull; Anne Bull provided the main part of the endowment for the village school. In south aisle, cartouche with fruit and flower surround and putto head, to John Pardoe, died 1680; also one to John Evett died 1657, one to Richard Harrison died 1795, by W Stephens, decorated with an urn and coat of arms, and one other late C18 memorial and an early C19 memorial. In the north aisle are 2 late C18 and 3 mid-C19 memorials, one of which is to the scientist Sir Charles Bell. Glass: late C19 stained glass in east window and C20 stained glass in east window of chapel. The former parish church stood on a site about 300 yards north-east of present church; it was replaced by an aisleless building c1830 which was demolished when the present church was erected.

Listing NGR: SO8285157927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151734
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/01323/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David South. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].