CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349556
Date first listed:
16-Oct-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349556.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:13:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Huntington
National Grid Reference:
SO 24946 53380

Details

HUNTINGTON CP HUNTINGTON SO 25 SW 1/109

Church of St Thomas of Canterbury

16.10.67

II*

Parish church. Circa 1300, altered early C17 and restored in 1892 and mid- C20. Rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and slate-hung bell turret. Continuous two-bay nave and single-bay chancel with west bell turret and south porch. Nave and chancel: north elevation has a C14 ogee-arched light at the eastern end, a central pair of C19 lancets, and a loophole at the western end. South elevation has a circa 1600 window of two lights with a square head at the eastern end and a similar window (C19 externally) east of the porch. At the east end is a pair of circa 1300 lancets and to the left of them are two corbels. The west bell turret is C17 and square in plan with rectangular louvred bell chamber openings, a pyramidal roof and weathervane. The south porch is C19. It is gabled and timber-framed on a rubble base. The roof has overhanging eaves on shaped brackets, moulded bargeboards and a pendant finial. There is a moulded arch-braced tie-beam and four cusped pointed openings in each side elevation above four rendered panels. The C14 doorway has chamfered jambs and a pointed head. Interior: there is no chancel arch. The chancel has a chamfered pointed arched organ recess in the north wall. At the west end the bell turret stands on moulded posts; the eastern posts forming a cusped pointed archway and are flanked by similar narrower archways to form a screen with exposed timber-framing and rendered panels above.

Nave roof has arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses alternating with arch-braced collar trusses. There are two tiers of cusped wind-braces and moulded wall- plates. Chancel roof is similar but only has arch-braced collar trusses. There is a C19 cusped ogee-arched arcaded rood screen with linenfold panel- ling. The font is probably C14 and has an octagonal bowl with curved under- sides on an octagonal stem and C19 base. The four-sided timber pulpit is C19. In the nave are some C16 pews with trefoiled heads to the bench-ends.

Memorials: there is an early C19 memorial with a swan-necked pediment and fluted pilasters in the nave to Mary Watkins, died 1801, by Richard Burgoyne with addition at base to John Watkins, died 1891, by R Davies. Also memorials to Elizabeth Watkins, died 1846, and William Watkins, died 1833 (possibly also by R Davies). Floor-slab in nave to Thomas James, died 1713?.

Listing NGR: SO2494653380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150664
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 74-5
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 198

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12653/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Stoyel. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].