Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349757.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 15:12:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 40462 74095


SO 4074 - 4174; 10/44

LEINTWARDINE CP, Church of St Mary Magdalene




Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15 with restorations in 1865, 1894-6 and 1920-5. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble and brick, partly rendered. Sandstone ashlar and dressings. Lead and Welsh slate roofs. South-west tower, aisled five-bay nave with north chapel. Chancel with north chapel.

Tower is C14, partly rendered. with embattled parapet and conical roof to newel at north-west corner. Five stages externally undivided. Chamfered plinth and weathered angle buttresses which rise to bottom of top stage. West side has one chamfered central square-headed opening to the middle stages, to left of which is projecting cylindrical newel corbelled at the bottom containing four loop lights. Obelisk finial to top of newel. Top stage has a pair of trefoil-headed chamfered openings under square head with hoodmould and stops. North side has similar openings to top stage and a lancet to next lower stage which is partly masked by a clock face. East side again has similar top stage openings, one central loop to the next lower stage and two irregularly placed loops beneath. Top of the south side has two trefoil-headed openings with trefoiled tracery under a two- centred moulded head with label and stops. Between the tops of the angle buttress is a central clock face, beneath which is an opening with a two- centred head within a more pointed chamfered super arch. The opening has an eight-paned window. Above the south doorway of the tower is a chamfered lancet. South doorway at the base of the tower has a two-centred arch of three orders. The inner two have continuous mouldings; the outer has short imposts which also stop a label. West elevation of nave has a traceried main window of five restored cinquefoil-headed lights beneath a two-centred arch. Above is a low gable with cross. To the left of the window is a C12 blocked doorway with a round head and attached colonettes with foliated capitals. Above the former doorway and around the west window are occasional bricks, possibly C18. Each aisle has a single lancet, that to the north the more restored with a diagonal buttress to the left. North elevation of nave has deep plinth with continuous weathering beneath three deeply recessed sharply pointed traceried aisle windows. Their chamfered heads die into the jambs. Each window has two restored trefoil-headed ogeed lights. Between the centre and right-hand window is a weathered buttress. Plain aisle parapet and coved frieze with water spouts in the form of lions' heads. Above the aisle are three clerestory windows each having a pair of recessed trefoil- headed lights with deep mouldings set beneath a flat triangular outer arch. To the left the aisle returns northwards by one window, forming the north nave aisle chapel. In the angle is a water spout designed as a gryphon. North nave aisle chapel has two windows, both similar to those of the north aisle. One faces west; the other north. Diagonal buttress to north-west corner and weathered buttress to east at junction with main north chancel chapel at which point the continuous cove ends in another lion's head spout. Main north chapel has three windows, each with a two-centred head, quatrefoil tracery and two ogeed trefoil-headed lights. Four weathered buttresses, scattered bricks and half roll-moulding beneath the eaves. Gables have verges. Late C19 conical shafted stack to south slope of west verge. East elevation is partly rendered and has an entirely restored traceried window with a two- centred arch and five cinquefoil-headed lights. To either side is a weathered buttress. Chancel has roll moulded string above low chamfered plinth. Circa 1900 traceried east window with five main lights, divided by transom into ten lights, all with cinquefoiled heads, the upper row also ogeed. Angle buttresses to south-east corner. South side has a pair of wide late C19 lancets with roll moulded heads and waterleaf capitals on colonnettes. Restored C13 central priest's door has round moulded and chamfered head and jambs in three orders with shoulders. Corbel table. Verges with kneelers. Gable cross to west and stump of one to east. West gable is partly rendered. South elevation of nave has three pointed 2-light windows with quatrefoil tracery. Each light has an ogeed and trefoiled head. Embattled ashlar parapet above three weathered buttresses which rise to string on which are three lions' head spouts. Bricks and brick fragments around the windows. Three clerestory windows similar to those on north side. East window of aisle resembles those on south side. Interior has heavy timbers beneath first stage of tower which forms entrance porch. Also under the tower are moulded corbels and a ledged door at the head of three steps, to newel. In the south-east corner are some high wrought-iron railings with one rail forming a small enclosures. Inner side of south doorway of tower has triangular two-centred head. Doorway from tower to south aisle is C13 with two moulded orders, the inner one more deeply moulded with continuous fillet to jambs. Outer order on single detached shafts with water-holding bases and circular moulded capitals supports another fillet moulded order. Label is roll moulded and runs out into concave chamfered jambs. Above the doorway is a two-centred relieving arch.

Roof of nave is C15 with low moulded principals supported by angle braces on corbels and divided into five bays. The slopes are panelled and have enriched bosses at the junctions. Chancel roof is restored with swept braces supporting collars carrying V-struts. The braces are carried on horizontal members supported from corbels. Apart from the single-framed wagon roof of the main north chapel, the remaining roofs are smaller equivalents of the nave roof. Chancel has restored cinquefoil-headed piscina with no drain. Three C14 sedilia each with two-centred to round outer arch and trefoil-headed inner arch. Reredos is C15 or C16 but fragmentary, consisting of bands of cinquefoil-headed panels separated by a quatrefoiled frieze and crocketted framing. In the centre is an early C20 reredos of Christ in Majesty dedicated to 18 former pupils of the local school who gave their lives in The Great War. Choir stalls perhaps from Wigmore Abbey, according to BoE, are probably C15, restored in late C19. Six-seater benches with restored crocketted ogeed and carved canopies to each side. Those to south side with a set of figurative miser- cords; those to north heavily restored with replaced arm-rests. Corresponding desks to each side. That to south has C15 poppy-head ends above ogees with lions and various figures. The C20 north desk is inscribed: M G R R V 1910 - 35 Chest on north side is perhaps C17, about eight feet long with strap hinges, two locks and a late C19 or C20 lid. Communion rails are late C19 with wrought-iron foliated supports. Stained glass in east window depicting The Crucifixion and Ascension is for Colonel John ..... (?), 187(?). Chancel arch is late C19 with a chamfered two-centred head resting on two corbels one with a queen's, the other a king's head, from which rise attached shafts with waist-bands and stiff-leaf capitals: Main north chapel is separated from chancel by C14 arcade of three bays. Pointed double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with deeply moulded abaci. Above the centre arch a corbel for an earlier roof. Eastern respond has small ogee-headed niche. South wall above arcade has keel-moulded string. C15 traceried screen in six panels with cinquefoil headed panelling, ogees and crockets. One panel with a nodding ogee. Large wall monument on west side to Banastre Tarleton, Baronet, died 1833. Book resting on plinth with military trophies. West window on north side has stained glass depicting The Good Shepherd for John Thomas Chambers, died 1889. The left light reads: "All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way". The right: "Behold I even I will both search my sheep and seek them out". Large late C19 organ with pine case inscribed: "Nicholson & Co/ Palace Yard/ Worcester". Pointed C14 arch into north aisle dies into jambs. North nave aisle chapel has C14 piscina with trefoiled arch under a square head and trefoiled spandrels. Deep moulded string in east wall. Fragments of medieval glass in tracery of north window. Early C17 communion table of oak. Nave has C13 south arcade with round piers and abaci. North arcade which is C14 has octagonal piers and abaci. The earlier arcade has chamfered pointed arches; the later one has double chamfers. Above the arcades are corbels for an earlier roof: Font is C14 with octagonal bowl, ogees on curved underside and a late C19 square base. Low wall dividing nave from chancel has blind recessed quatrefoils and ballflower decoration. Three wooden angels attached to piers, probably C15, hold shields. One is inscribed in paint: RC the other: GG EA JS CW CW 1811(?) 1828. Table made of of fragments of C15 wooden tracery with ogeed heads. Restored re-mounted C16 clock with wrought-iron and brass mechanism. Beneath the west window memorial to the 37 men of the parish who fell from 1914 - 1919. West window of the Annunciation and Nativity, for John Clarke Prescott, died 1863, inscribed: "Hail thou that art highly favoured the Lord is with thee. Thou son of David have mercy on us. Thou art my beloved son in thee I am well pleased": South aisle has chamfered pointed C19 doorway under newal of tower. Stained glass in south-east window for Herbert Crawshay, died 1907, depicts St Peter and St Mary Bethany. West window is for Mary Louise Crawshay, died 1869, with Christ and St Mary Magdalene, inscribed "JESUS called a child unto HIM". Central south window is for Lt Col Hugh Henrv Gough dated 1913 and illustrating "COURAGE" with the" inscription BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH & I WILL GIVE THEE THE CROWN OF LIFE.

Listing NGR: SO4046174096


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 106-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 222-3


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12418/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].