CHURCH OF SAINTS COSMAS AND DAMIAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1349846
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS COSMAS AND DAMIAN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349846.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 05:26:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS COSMAS AND DAMIAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Monkland and Stretford
National Grid Reference:
SO 44350 55741

Details

SO 45 NW; 4/86

STRETFORD CP, STRETFORD

Church of St Cosmas and St Damian

02.09.66

I

Former parish church. C12, extended C13, partly rebuilt C14, restored.1875 and 1922. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings under a machine-tile roof. Shingled bell-cote to west end has a small broach spire. Two naves and two chancels, under one roof, with a south porch.

North nave and chancel in one, C12, have to north wall a large lancet and a small C12 window with semi- circular head. Towards west end a blocked door of C12 with semi-circular head and chamfered jambs. West window is of two trefoiled lights with a circular window above. East window of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. South nave and chancel in one, C13, with-two lancets. South porch is of timber and C15. Outer entrance has an arch-braced tie-beam. The south door has chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a square head, the east window is of three pointed lights with intersecting tracery under a two-centred head with an ogee point.

INTERIOR has a central arcade of three bays. This has two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on circular piers with moulded capitals and base. The eastern respond rebuilt in C15 has a rectangular stone structure with crenellated cornice over a recess with moulded jambs and square head. Two tomb recesses in north wall. That to east has a moulded ogee arch with label and head stops. Set in recess effigies of a knight and his wife, probably early C14. The recess to the west has a segmental pointed arch, over mid-C14 stone effigies. Roof is probably C15 of two bays with wall posts reaching to floor and intermediate trusses. Western truss has a tie beam, and arch-braced collar which forms a part of the bellcote structure. The intermediate truss is supported on corbels. The collar is arch-braced and is further supported by a crown post resting on the top of the arcade. The central truss is similar with moulded tie beam, and the screens are framed into the wall-posts. The second intermediate truss is similar to the other. The eastern truss has tie beam, arch-braced collar, crown post and V-struts in apex. Four tiers of purlins, the upper two with curved wind-braces, the lower two with cusped wind braces. The second purlin up is square-set, not in the slope of the roof, and the principal rafter stops at the collar, in the manner of a base cruck, although the principals are straight. The screens each have three bays, the central one containing the door, the outer bays having three openings with ogee trefoil heads and tracery. In the care of the Redundant Churches Fund.

Listing NGR: SO4435055748

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149868
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 189-190
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 293-194

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11147/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Williamson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].