CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1349851
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349851.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:02:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brobury with Monnington on Wye
National Grid Reference:
SO 37355 43325

Details

SO 34 SE; 4/50

MONNINGTON-ON-WYE CP, MONNINGTON-ON-WYE

Church of St Mary

02.09.66

GV

I

Parish church. C15 tower, rest rebuilt in 1679 by Uvedall and Mary Tomkins. Ashlar with graduated stone tile roof. C15 west tower, nave, north porch and chancel.

West tower of three stages with crenellated parapet, the merlons pierced, the moulded cornice below with water spouts. Belfry has windows, each of two trefoiled lights, first stage windows square-headed. The west window is of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head. Nave: north wall of two bays, the window in the eastern bay has a window of two tiers of two semi-circular headed lights under a square head with moulded label. North porch to west is gabled bearing an armorial achievement, with above it a scrolled panel bearing the initials V and M T and the date 1679. The outer arch is semi-elliptical and moulded. The north door has chamfered jambs and a segmental arch cut in one stone. The south wall has two windows similar to that in the north wall. The chancel has one window in the north and south walls similar to those of the nave. The east window is of three transomed and semi-elliptical headed lights under a semi-ellipitcal head with a moulded label. In the gable above there is an armorial achievement.

INTERIOR: the tower arch has plain jambs and a chamfered two-centred arch. The chancel arch is segmental pointed with a small chamfer. Roof is a depressed segmental plastered vault. The chancel roof is of two bays, the truss having a steeply cambered tie beam. Fittings: almost all of 1679. Oak chancel screen with large central opening and four bays on each side with open upper panels with barley-sugar posts and semi-circular arches. Communion table with barley-sugar balusters matching those of communion rail. Two enclosed pews against the screen. Nave has benches with turned front legs, shaped arms and panelled backs. The pulpit, which has been reduced in height, is hexagonal with two tiers of arcaded panelling and barley-sugar balusters to corners. On south wall above pulpit an elaborate Royal Coat of Arms with the initials CR2, formerly on the chancel screen. The font has an octagonal basin on an octagonal pier with moulded base. Bowl inscribed "T/ VM/ 1680". Wooden cover with ball finial as handle. To tower a gate with barley-sugar balusters. In north-east corner of nave memorial to Robert Perrott, died 1667, with bust of man in recess flanked by Composite columns, broken pediment and cartouche of arms.

Listing NGR: SO3735743324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150009
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 151-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 254-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13984/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].