CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1349926
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349926.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:03:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Elton
National Grid Reference:
SO 45783 71016

Details

ELTON CP ELTON SO 47 SE 4/29 Church of St Mary 11.6.59 GV II

Parish church. C12 with C13 alterations; restored in 1876 by W E Martin. Sandstone rubble, rendered at ends, with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roof. Continuous three-bay nave and two-bay chancel with south porch and west bellcote. Nave and chancel: west edd wall was rebuilt above eaves level in C19 and has a 3-light C19 window. North and south elevations of nave have a pair of C19 lancets and also a single C19 lancet. The chancel has three C19 stepped cusped lancets at its east end situated beneath a hoodmould with block stops. In the north elevation is a pair of C19 lancets and, at the eastern end, a C12 round-headed light (not in situ). The south elevation has a C13 lancet at its eastern end, a C19 lancet and, between the two windows a C12 doorway with plain jambs and a round-arched head. The south porch is C19, gabled and timber-framed on a rubble base. At the gable end is a tie-beam truss with decorative convex braces. The lower part of the side elevations is boarded and above is a row of five turned balusters. The south doorway within is C12, has plain jambs and a round arch with chamfered imposts. West bellcote is C19. It is gabled with a moulded ridge, a finial base (finial is missing) and moulded eaves. There is a single blind pointed archway pierced with a 2-light opening and, above, a circular opening. The two pointed lights are separated by a moulded column and a single bell hangs within each light. Interior: there is no chancel arch. There is an ashlared collar rafter-roof in the nave of the chancel, the chancel having two subsidiary arch-braced collar trusses. Cl7 altar table with turned legs and moulded top rails with shaped brackets. C19 cusped pointed aumbry with hoodmould and foliated stops on foliated corbel. Two late Cl7 panelled chairs with lozenge enrichment. Rood screen incorporates some C15 and C17 woodwork. The font is probably C12 and has a plain cylindrical bowl and modern stem and base. The five-sided pulpit is early Cl7 and panelled with upper strapwork ornament and enriched arches beneath. There is re-used Cl7 panelling on the north and south walls On the north wall are the Royal Arms of Queen Elizabeth I carved in wood and with the inscription "God save the Queene". Cl7 parish chest. Memorials: in the chancel are two stone shields with remains of a painted inscription to Katherine ? and also two C19 memorials. (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 56-7; BoE, p 127).

Listing NGR: SO4578371016

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150208
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 56-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 127

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16501/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].