CHARLTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1350018
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
CHARLTON PARK, CHARLTON PARK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350018.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:18:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHARLTON PARK, CHARLTON PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishopsbourne
National Grid Reference:
TR 19026 51770

Details

1. 5273 BISHOPSBOURNE CHARLTON PARK ROAD (north-west side)

Charlton Park TR 1951 23/134 29.9.52

II* GV

2. Originally called Charlton Place. C18 front to an older building. Two storeys and attic. Stuccoed cornice and parapet with a centre pediment conceals 4 dormers. Twelve windows, hung sashes with glazing bars, with rectangular recesses above first floor windows. The building consists of a wide centre portion and narrow recessed wings which were added in the C18, the north wing having one window bay, the south 2. Wide central doorcase and pilasters, projecting cornice over, moulded architrave surround and door of 6 fielded panels. At the back on the west side 3 gables of the older building are visible. In the north-west corner is an early C19 addition of an L-wing with higher elevation but of only 2 storeys. This has a wide curved bay of 3 windows on both floors, those on the first floor being very tall with balconettes to light the ball room. This ball room is said to have been added by or for George IV who is said to have been a frequent visitor to the house between 1795 and 1820. Other portions of the interior contain early C16 black and white wall paintings and ceiling beams.

Listing NGR: TR1902651770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170987
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06429/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diana Forrest. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].