CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351305
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351305.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:57:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Barton Mills
National Grid Reference:
TL 71689 73819

Details

TL 77 SW BARTON MILLS THE STREET

4/5 Church of St. Mary - 7/5/54 - II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1866 and 1901. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles and south porch, organ chamber and boiler-house. Flint rubble with limestone dressings and parapet gables. Plaintiled roofs to nave, chancel and organ chamber; tower roof flat with crenellated parapets; south aisle roof slated; porch and north aisle roofs leaded. The church was largely rebuilt mid C14; the tower is a little earlier, and the chancel has a core of mid C13; the porch was added C15. Mid C13 north doorway from chancel hoodmoulded, the moulding continues as a dado. Of c.1300 is the double piscina, with hood-mould above cusped arches. In the south chancel wall is an early C14 window with low-side windows below a transome. Early C14 unbuttressed tower with 2-light belfry windows, lion-head gargoyles and plain west doorway. Nave rebuilt mid C14, with 4-bay arcades of octagonal columns and similar chancel arch. North and south doorways and 2-light traceried aisle windows all have hoodmoulds inside and out, some with mask-corbels. Many windows have areas of good original glass containing figures and tabernacle-work. The oak battened and boarded south door is of C14 or C15. In the chancel are mid-C14 windows; of 5 lights with net-tracery in east wall, of 2 lights in north and south walls. In the south wall is a moulded C14 priest's doorway. South porch added C15, with moulded arched doorway and 2-light side-windows; restored and reroofed 1901. The clerestory, and nave and chancel roofs were rebuilt 1866; the nave roof is of arch-braced collar-beam type and the chancel is ceiled in 7 cants and painted. The organ chamber and boiler house added to north side 1866. Octagonal font with C14 octagonal traceried bowl, the stem probably renewed C19. C17 octagonal pulpit. In the nave are 2 reused C15 poppyhead benchends. On the chancel walls are 2 painted consecration crosses. In the chancel are several late C19 stained glass windows by Clayton and Bell and others. A dado of Salviati mosaic lines the sanctuary walls. In the chancel are wall-tablets to William Glascock (d.1718) and Thomas Thoresby (d.1790) and his wife Isabella (d.1794). A marble floor slab to Revd. Thomas Mallaber (d.1732) and his wife Margaret (d.1719). In the tower is a painted wall-tablet in memory of Revd. James David (will 1691).

Listing NGR: TL7168973819

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275746
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12966/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Martin Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].