CHOPPINS HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352044
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHOPPINS HILL HOUSE, LOWER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHOPPINS HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 23:35:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHOPPINS HILL HOUSE, LOWER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Coddenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 13762 55423

Details

CODDENHAM LOWER ROAD TM 15 NW 5/29 Choppins Hill House (formerly listed as 9-12-55 Choppins Hill Farmhouse) GV I

House. Late C14. The standard of carpentry is high, and the use of fully- developed close-studding is rare in a demonstrably C14 building. The two-bay hall ahs contemporary 2-storey gabled cross-wings at either end. Timber-framed and platered; the solar wing to left has a jettied upper floor on thick knees. The service wing was also jettied formerly. Plaintiled roofs; an axial chimney of red brick in the hall range; and external chimneys to both cross-wings. The hall range has hipped plaintiled C20 casement dormers. Early C20 casements with leaded lights. Boarded and battened entrance door. The open truss in the centre of the hall is constructed as follows:- A chambered, formerly knee- braced, beam spans the building above head level. It supports a pair of arcade posts, from which rise curved arcade braces up to square-sectioned arcade plates. The posts are linked at mid-height to the aisle wall plates by short tie-beams, beneath which is (on one side) a pair of knees forming a 2-centred arach. The cambered main tie-beam has lost its braces but bears a short octagonal crownpost, moulded and with thick braces in the C14 manner. The twin service doorways are ogee-headed and hood-moulded, and enriched by carved fleurons. The blocked front cross-entry doorway is massive and has a 2-centred arched head. The dais beam at the upper end of the hall is embattled and has painted applied lead flowers; the adjacent blocked ogee-headed doorway was formerly screened from the dais by a spur. Both cross-wings have complete roofs with moulded octagonal crownposts; the solar wing has a further bay at the rear, with an original staircase tower. Studwork throughout is very closely spaced and windbracing is absent from internal faces. Fine splayed and tabled scarf joints with undersquinted and sallied butts. Circa 1600, a large central chimney and an upper floor were inserted into the hall; of this date is an ovolo-mullioned window in the hall and a small wing with newel stair. The tenement may have been held in the C14 by the Augustinian Priory of Royston; in 1408 it was known as Thedeward's, and he or a prveious tenant may have been the builder, funded by the Priory. Francis Chappine acquired the property in 1609, whnce derived its present name. An exceptionally fine example of a late C14 raised-aisled hall house, and possibly the most complete of the East Suffolk group.

Listing NGR: TM1376255423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279277
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00316/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].