THE MAGPIE INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352065

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: THE MAGPIE INN, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MAGPIE INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 02:01:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MAGPIE INN, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Stonham Parva

National Grid Reference: TM 11913 60461

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE STONHAM NORWICH ROAD TM 16 SW 2/138 The Magpie Inn - 9-12-55 - II

Inn, built in 3 main stages: C15, early C16 and early C19. The C19 block was added double-pile fashion and forms the main frontage. Painted brick. Hipped low-pitched slated roofs with internal chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Small-pane sashes with moulded lintels. Flat-roofed C19 entrance porch of painted brick, the fanlight with border panes and moulded lintel; pair of half-glazed panelled C20 entrance doors. To left is a 2-cell cross- wing of c.1500: timber-framed and plastered, the upper floor end jettied towards the road; a fragment of a corner post beneath the jetty gives evidence that the wing was once jettied on two consecutive sides. Plaintiled roof with axial C16/C17 square chimney of red brick. Various C19 small-pane sashes and casements; under the jetty is a splayed bay with sashes. Good unmoulded framing exposed internally; a 4-centred arched doorway, and a large early C16 open fireplace with cambered lintel. The original C15 range, now at the rear, is a 3-cell open hall house; timber-framed with pantiled roof. The hall has a central open truss with massive cambered tie-beam and thick arch-braces. Smoke-blackened coupled-rafter roof. The parlour cell to left has massive exposed unchamfered floor joists and widely-spaced studwork. In late C16 an upper floor of chamfered joists was inserted in the hall, and a chimney was built near the cross entry; In C20 the chimney was removed and the ground storey of the C15 building was united to form a lounge bar. "In 1481, the Rev. John Beale bequeathed his tenement, called the Pie.... to feoffees in trust .... in repairing the highways of Little Stonham." East Anglian Miscellany, 1910, No.3282.

Listing NGR: TM1191360461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279389

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'East Anglian Miscellany' in East Anglian Miscellany, , Vol. 3282, (1910)

End of official listing