CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352160
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 09:14:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Bricett
National Grid Reference:
TM 03865 50677

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/12/2014

TM 05 SW 5/109

GREAT BRICETT, THE STREET, Church of St. Mary and St. Lawrence

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary and St. Laurence)

9.12.55

GV I

Parish church; originally the church of the priory of St. Leonard, founded 1114-19 for Augustinian canons from St. Leonard de Noblat; the priory was dissolved in 1444 and granted by Henry VI to his college in Cambridge. Nave, chancel, south porch. Mainly of random flint rubble with freestone dressings; much medieval remodelling with limestone and tile rubble, and later brick rubble. C19 brick at upper levels. Continuous plaintiled roof. The core of the early C12 church remains, but was extended at both ends later in C12, and underwent repeated alterations throughout the Middle Ages. Fine late C12 south doorway with rich carving to jambs, shafts, imposts and arched head. In the jambs are 8 reused stones with carved inscription, of which one word is LEONARDUS. These probably come from the original early C12 doorway a little to the east, whose former position is marked by a very early scratch dial. A number of C12 features remain: blocked tall west doorway with window above, blocket lancets in north and south walls. There were two C12 transepts in the chancel; these were demolished and (on the south side) a window inserted in mid C13, with a good hood-moulded doorway beside it. Blocked early C13 arches. on north and south sides of chancel, which led to transeptal chapels at the extreme east end. These in turn were demolished in C14, and the south arch has w:Lthin it a C14 crocketed and pinnacled piscina and a window. The north arch also has an inserted window. In the south wall are several C13 and C14 Y- traceried windows and a plain C14 piscina. The east wall was rebuilt in 1868; the east window is in the mid C14 manner and is perhaps original and reconstructed; 4 panels of C14 glass in another window were formerly in the east window with much other glass. Early C15 crownpost roof over the nave; the archbraced tiebeams are moulded and the wallpieces have moulded pilasters. Similar chancel roof is later, perhaps rebuilt with removal of chancel arch. A fine font of late C12: square limestone bowl enriched with interlaced arcading and shafts with foliate capitals. Plain square stem and base. Hexagonal oak pulpit with rows of carved sunk trefoils and bands of quatrefoils above and below, and one side has good window tracery; the pulpit is in the manner of C15 but possibly constructed (or assembled) in C19. A wall monument of marble to John Bright of Tollemach Hall, Little Bricett, d.1680. An archaeological plan of the church showing its complex evolution is on the north wall.

Listing NGR: TM0386550677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279884
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/06843/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Powell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].