NETHER HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352394

Date first listed: 09-May-1988

Statutory Address: NETHER HALL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETHER HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 01:00:29.

Location

Statutory Address: NETHER HALL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Thurston

National Grid Reference: TL 92665 66873

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 96 NW THURSTON THE STREET, PAKENHAM

1/156 Nether Hall -

GV II

Large country house, formerly manor house. Late C16 or c.1600 with remodelling of early C18, 1875 for Edward Green MP and again in 1901 by Philip Webb. Red brick: the earliest work visible at rear and in cross-wings is in narrow bricks in English bond. Both the main gables and the hall range were refronted in early or mid C18 narrow bricks in Flemish bond; bay windows and extension of 1875 in larger bricks with limestone dressings. Parapet gables of C18 to crosswings with gable finials of moulded brick perhaps of C16 origin. Parapets of 1875 with dentilled cornice to main range. Plaintiled roofs: 6 major internal chimneys of red brick: 3 at the rear have shafts of late C16/early C17 brick, 2 others are probably C18, and that to right is of 1875. All chimneys have pilasters and heavy oversailing caps in the C17 Kentish manner, which were probably added in 1875. 2 storeys and attics. 5 window main range: two forward-projecting crosswings with added bay windows. All windows to main elevation of 1875 in the Jacobean manner: moulded mullions and transomes and frames all in freestone, steel casements, the upper lights in some cases having decorative leaded glazing. At each crosswing is a large 2-storey splayed bay with curved parapet gable and ball finial. Over both of the ground storey windows is a crest with motto and over the upper window at each wing is a shield with initials EWG for Edward Greene. Central entrance doorway with C18 rusticated quoins of gauged gault brick: 12-panelled door of 1875. The west elevation has a probable C17 garderobe tower with a moulded band at 1st floor: converted to one of a pair of bay windows in 1875. The north elevation has been the entrance front since 1875: narrow brick of late C16/early C17. Remodelling by Philip Webb 1901: 3 weatherboarded gables with decorative bargeboards; each including a small-pane casement flanked by pilasters. At lower storeys are small-pane sashes with segmental heads, also by Webb. Entrance porch of 1875: open archway with shafts and half-capitals, flanking carved floral panels, deep cornice and flat roof (an added gablet by Webb). Panelled inner walls and doorway. Interior: - not examined, but believed to be entirely remodelled in the Jacobean manner in 1875 with extensive oak panelling and other joinery. The rear wing added 1901 by Webb is in the parish of Pakenham (District of St Edmundsbury) and is included in the list for that parish as Item 2/100.

Listing NGR: TL9265366884

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281259

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing