SEXTON COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352463
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
SEXTON COTTAGE, 39, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEXTON COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 23:42:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
SEXTON COTTAGE, 39, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Debenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 17409 63220

Details

DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (east side) TM 16 SE 6/92 No.39 (Sextons Cottage) 9.12.55 (formerly listed under Church Row as Cottage 30yds S. of house called St Mary's)

GV II

Former house, now used as church rooms. Circa 1530. Timber framed, mid C20 panelled plasterwork with herringbone pargetting. Right gable end of rendered C19 brick: a section of the house beyond is missing. Roof plaintiled to front and pantiled to rear. 2 storeys. Upper floor jettied to front and rear, most of the rear jetty now underbuilt. Original brackets to front jetty. 2 windows, casements with horizontal glazing bars. Central plank door into original cross-entry. Gable stack to right. Interior. Service bay and lower bay of hall survive; upper bay of hall and assumed parlour bay lost. Exposed studding with evidence for original windows. Hall has heavy plain joists; at the rear there is original trimming for a stack. Joists in service end concealed. The front half of the service end was used as a shop. Plain crown-post roof with 2-way bracing. 'Le Towne House' in 1621 survey, indicating some public use. For drawing of structure, see Mr T. Easton, Bedfield Hall.

Listing NGR: TM1740963220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281516
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/06087/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Routen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].