Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352543

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANSE, THE STREET


Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MANSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 23:44:33.


Statutory Address: THE OLD MANSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wattisfield

National Grid Reference: TM 00997 74334


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/102 The Old Manse 15/11/54 (formerly listed as The Manse)


House; formerly the manse associated with the nearby Congregational Chapel. Late C16, later C17 and mid C18. Timber-framed and rendered; concrete plaintiles to front roof-slope of central range, black-glazed pantiles to rear. slope and to both cross-wings. 2 storeys and attic; half-H form, which has developed in stages, with an additional wing behind the central range. Coved cornice to centre, plain bargeboards to cross-wings; small-paned sash windows in flush frames; above the centrally-placed entrance is a sliding sash window with small panes. 6-panelled door, the top 4 panels glazed, the bottom 2 flush; Gibbs surround, with triangular pediment above. The left-hand wing is the oldest part of the house: in 4 bays, one bay containing a chimney-stack with 2 back-to-back hearths, both with open fireplaces and plain timber lintels. Chamfered main beams exposed, in the rear room with curved stops and jewel. The central range, which is lower than the wings, has poor quality later C17 ceilings with joists set on edge, and some early C19 insertions, including a staircase. At the rear, a 2-bay wing of similar date with a gable end of red brick, in random bond with some blue headers, incorporating a plain chimney-stack. The short right-hand wing may have been entirely added in 1755, when there are records of work undertaken by the local Congregational authorities: red brick rear gable in Flemish Bond with a plain chimney-stack; framing with bisected studs, primary braces, and long jowls to posts. Good mid-Georgian woodwork: 6-panelled door to parlour with eared architrave, a fine fireplace with eared architrave and panel above, moulded cornice with dentils. In the upper room, a cast iron raised grate with Greek key ornament. All the roofs are of butt purlin form.

Listing NGR: TM0099774334


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281847

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing