REVETMENTS TO DAM OF FORMER LAKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352665

Date first listed: 14-May-2002

Statutory Address: REVETMENTS TO DAM OF FORMER LAKE, LYDIARD PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of REVETMENTS TO DAM OF FORMER LAKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:44:09.

Location

Statutory Address: REVETMENTS TO DAM OF FORMER LAKE, LYDIARD PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Swindon (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 10609 84679

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



560/0/10005 LYDIARD PARK 14-MAY-02 Revetments to dam of former lake

GV II



Dam to lake, originally a causeway. Circa mid C18 adaptation as dam of circa C17 causeway. Stone rubble and brick revetments with brick crenellation with stone weathering. Original causeway about 10 metres wide constructed of packed earth between coursed stone revetments. The south revetment is buried, but the north revetment is exposed and about 3 metres tall. In about the mid C18 the causeway was adapted for use as a dam to the lake that was created in the park at that time. The west end of the revetment was extended or rebuilt in red brick, brick buttresses constructed and brick crenellation added with stone weathering. The stone weathering might be re-used material from the house, which was remodelled in 1743-9. There is a sluice off centre to east. In 1910 the dam was breached towards its east end and the lake was drained. SOURCES: [1] Register of Parks and Gardens; Wiltshire. [2] Phibbs, J.L., Report for Swindon Borough Council, January 2001.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489690

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Phibbs, J L , Report [on dam to fomer lake, Lydiard Park], 2001,
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

End of official listing