This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1352737

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Peper Harow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 291582

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 94SW PEPER HAROW C.P. PEPER HAROW PARK

5/73 Church of St Nicholas 9/3/60 GV II*

Church. C12, south nave wall and chancel. West tower 1826, north aisle and mortuary chapel 1847 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Viscount Middleton. South porch added in 1877. Coursed, rough dressed local sandstone with clunch dressings and plinth on chancel and North Aisle, sandstone rubble covered in rough lime plaster to nave with clunch quoins and sandstone blocks to tower. Stone porch, timber framed above, with incised render infilling, plain tiled roofs. Square battlemented tower to west end, nave and aisle to north with chancel to east, chancel chapel to north, vestry at angles north west, porch to south. Tower with diagonal offset buttresses to west end, stair turret to north east corner. One arched louvred. opening on each face under cornice in splayed ashlar surrounds, one similar window with Y tracery to north and south sides. Lancet with bowl projecting to base, dated 1826 on front of tower over 2-light Victorian window under hood mould. North aisle windows in early English style, chancel windows Decorated style and large window to East of 3-lights and Star of David pattern tracery under hood mould with human head steps. Niche memorial to Catherine Broderick 1867, on west wall of porch chancel chapel. Old South door of 2 plain orders and round arch.

Interior:- Panelled nave roof with floral bosses to square panels. Grey marble columns to north aisle of 4 lobed sections with chevron moulding to arches. Elaborate floral, cusped rear arches to west window. Much restored chancel arch of C12, remodelled by Pugin. Original traces of Norman arch to shallow recesses left and right of main arch. Heavily decorated central arch with chevron and cross mouldings and attached orders with scalloped capitals. Painted and panelled chancel ceiling.

Fittings:- Caen stone reredos of 5 canopied compartments, the centre containing cross supported by angels and cherubim standing on wheels to other four. C19 fittings including pulpit and font. Victorian Gothic scripts painted on chancel arch walls.

Monuments: Brass to Joan Adderley dated 1487, small kneeling figure c.14 inches high under ogee niche. Tower arch wall - monuments to Thomas and Catherine Broderick, died 1641. Grey stele with white cherub's head and portrait busts to either side. Attributed to Bushnell. Neo classical monument to Thomas Broderick 1745. Grey marble stele with crowning urn. On North wall of chancel. Tomb monument to George, Viscount Middleton by H. Weekes of London. 1836. Brought from Wandsworth. Placid semi-reclining figure against Perpendicular tracery background.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.407-8. V.C.H. Vol III pp.51-2.

Listing NGR: SU9346544062

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 51-2
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 407-8

National Grid Reference: SU 93465 44062

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 05:58:13.

End of official listing