- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353005.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 00:12:37.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Sussex
- Lewes (District Authority)
- National Park:
- SOUTH DOWNS
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 45270 10720
TQ 41 SE 11/549 20.8.65. Glyndebourne
2. This house was originally part of the same estate as Glynde Place belonging to the Morley family but was separated from it in the late C16 when Mary Morley (m 1589 d 1598) married John Hay. Like Glynde Place, it has not been sold since the Conquest, but has passed through the female line 5 times. It has become world famous since 1934 for the opera house built in the garden by John Christie, and the performances given there, chiefly of Mozart's operas. The house is of irregular plan and various dates. The oldest portion, dating from the occupation by the Morleys, is the north end which is partly late C15 and partly late C16. The walls are of chalk but this is only visible outside at the back of the north-west wing. Casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. Inside a lot of timber-framing is visible, with C16 panelling and a staircase of the late C16 or early C17. Additions were made by the Hay family in the C17 including the present large Library, then 2 rooms. About 1870 the house was enlarged and encased in red brick by William Langham Christie. The south-east and south-west fronts date principally from that period, with alterations and adaptations in 1920, when the Music-room was also added. The south-west or entrance front is half-H shaped. Two storeys and attic. Tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. The centre portion has 5 windows on ground floor, 3 windows on first floor, parapet and 4 hipped dormers above. The projecting wings have 2 windows each on ground floor, one window each to first floor and attic, and a gable over each. The south-east or garden front is L-shaped. Five windows, 2 hipped dormers. Two gables to the projecting wing at the north-east end. Beyond this is the Music-room, with a large pentagonal bay in the centre and balustraded parapet over. This room joins the house to the opera house.
Listing NGR: TQ4527010720
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing