TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1353072
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, FISHER STREET
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 20:56:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, FISHER STREET
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Lewes
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 41545 10154

Details

TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET 10/246 (north side)

25.2.52 Town Hall

GV II

Inn, now Town Hall. C14, rebuilt above ground in the later C18, remodelled in 1893 by Samuel Denman in an eclectic Queen Anne - Baroque style. Red brick with much applied red brick and terracotta decoration. Rusticated pilaster order on ground floor with full entablature to rusticated first floor with raised panels around windows. Heavy entablature with swags in frieze of centre and flutings over windows, to first floor. Moulded cornice over second floor to parapet with recessed blank arched panels. Central aedicular feature over centre, with curved supports and triangular pediment over. Parapet hides slate roof with end stacks. 3 storeys; 8 bays, arranged 2 - 3 - 3, the central 3 projecting and narrower. Sashes throughout, those on ground and first floors without glazing bare. Single thermal window in centre of second floor and tall window with arched glazing directly below. Other windows all with cornice- hoods, those flanking centre with triangular pediments also. Arched window surrounds on ground floor, except to left of centre with plain surrounds. Arch mouldings in striped brick and stone with keystones carved as masks. Arches of centre rise from antae which carry bracket pilasters to heavy Doric entablature with cast-iron lamp holder over entrance. Paired half-glazed doors in centre. Half-glazed door on second bay from right. Interior: Undercroft of C14 with arch and tunnel-vault. Staircase: formerly at Slaugham Place, c.1620, installed in the Inn during the later C18. Almost certainly not in its original form, it is now an Imperial with a long first flight. High newel posts, tapering balusters with capitals, much figural carving. The later C19 and early C20 front of the Town Hall and Corn Exchange can also seen in Fisher Street.

Listing NGR: TQ4154510154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293228
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].