Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353740

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1949

Statutory Address: 30-34, HIGH STREET


Ordnance survey map of 30-34, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 03:29:27.


Statutory Address: 30-34, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Arundel

National Grid Reference: TQ 01851 07151


1. 5401 HIGH STREET (East Side) ----------- Nos 30 to 34 (even) TQ 0107 1/24 26.3.49.


2. Mid C18. Former George Inn. Red brick, with chaining of grey headers between window ranges. Rusticated quoins of brick up to cornice level. Moulded brick cornice above 1st floor. Rubbed brick voussoirs on 1st floor. Pitched tile roof, masked by parapet with ashlar coping. Red brick chimneys. 3 storeys. 5 bays, of which centre 3 break forward. 2 flanking bays have Venetian windows with double hung sashes and glazing bars on 1st floor. All other windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars, those on 2nd floor segment-headed, although 2 on 2nd floor have been filled in. All 3 houses have shopfronts inserted on ground floor. No 30 has a segmental bay on either side of the door, and dentilled cornice above glazed double doorway with semi-circular fanlight. No 32 has 1 oblong bay window with glazing bars, 1 door with oblong fanligt, and moulded cornice over both. No 34 has an oblong bay window with renewed glazing bars on either side of panelled double doors, top 3/4 glazed, with marginal glazing bars. Moulded entablature over all, with fret pattern on frieze. In the C18 The George Inn belonged to the Duke of Norfolk and was the political centre of the local Whig party, until superseded by the Norfolk Arms in 1783-5.

Nos 18 to 34 (even) with the Castle Walls and Town Gates form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ0186107156


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 297199

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing