THE RUINS OF MICHELGROVE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353888

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF MICHELGROVE, THE LONG FURLONG

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RUINS OF MICHELGROVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353888 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 22:00:22.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF MICHELGROVE, THE LONG FURLONG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Patching

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ0815508352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 00 NE 10/53

PATCHING THE LONG FURLONG

The Ruins of Michelgrove

II

Michelgrove was one of the largest and most famous houses in the County and was the home of the Shelley family from the late C15 to 1800. It was probably built about 1540 by Sir William Shelley, Justice of the Common Pleas, but was altered and enlarged by Sir John Shelley in the C18 and by Richard Walker of Liverpool between 1800 and 1828. In 1828 it was purchased by the 12th Duke of Norfolk and soon afterwards demolished by him. The magnificent staircase inserted by Richard Walker is said to have been moved to Burton Park, Petworth Rural District (q.v.) which was rebuilt at that period. The only remains of the house on the spot consist of a castellated wall built of red brick faced with Roman cement with 3 blocked 4-centred archways with dripstones over and at the north end a squat octagonal turret with castellated parapet. This is all probably part of one of the 1s. flanking wings or pavilions added or altered at the time of the C18 or early C19 alterations to the house.

Listing NGR: TQ0815508352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 298009

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing