CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1354775

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 21-May-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354775 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 16:14:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Worthing (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 13097 04017

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1304 SW CHURCH ROAD 753/15/59 West Tarring 11-OCT-49 (South side) St Andrews Church (Formerly listed as: CHURCH ROAD West Tarring West Tarring Church (St Andrew's))

GV II*



Church. Late C13, C15, and C16; mid-C19 restoration and alterations; 1885 scheme of mosaic decoration, designed by William Butterfield and installed by itinerant Italian mosaicists employed by Burke & Co. Knapped flint, re-set mid-C19, with stone dressings. Graduated Horsham slate to chancel and porch roofs; wood shingles to spire; 1950s plain-tile roofs to nave and aisles. Plan: C13 5-bay aisled nave with clerestorey and central north and south porches (mid-C19); lower C15 2-bay chancel; C15 west tower with C16 spire. In Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, having: quoins to angles; buttresses with ashlar off-sets; quoined pointed-arched openings, principal ones with hoodmoulds; corbelled raised verges with ashlar copings and gable crosses; off-set stepped ashlar copings to embattled 4-stage tower. Nave: 4 small windows to clerestorey and aisles; taller aisle east- and west-end windows, the former of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil over. Tower: west end: large angle butt resses; door in moulded surround with hoodmould; replacement panel tracery to window over door; narrow trefoil-headed light above, and 2-light window to upper stage with reticulated tracery. North side: windows to 3rd and 4th stages similar. South side: similar 3rd-stage light; 4th stage has window of paired cusped lights with wooden lattice. Similar window to east side, below clock face and with oculus on south side. Vice at south-east angle has small rectangular chamfered lights. Octagonal spire with weather-cock. Chancel: offset plinth. Central butress. 2-light windows with renewed tracery; restored 5-light east window with cusped tracery to head. Late-C20 semi-subterranean vestry attached to south side of nave.

Interior: nave: pointed-arched arcades with simply-moulded bases and capitals to circular columns; continuous hoodmoulds with carved pendants. Double piscina in south-east corner has moulded, cusped, architrave and bowls in the form of a trefoil and a quatrefoil. Mid-C19 chancel arch, crown-post roof, pulpit, lectern and some surviving floor tiles. 1885 mosaics above aisle arcades and tower arch depicting the 12 apostles set above the apostles creed and portraits of the patriarchs. Tower: arch carried on attached semi-octagonal columns; pointed-arched vice door; early-C18 Stiles family wall monument comprising aedicule with coat-of-arms over; flanking oval memorial tablets; C19 font. Chancel: C15 screen with perpendicular-style tracery, metal spikes, 6 misericords on east side carved with heads and foliage and the decorative panelling returning along chancel north and south walls (part-restored) with contemporary choir-stall fronts and fleur-de-lis finials. Jacobean altar-rail with turned balusters, stylised floral motif to frieze, and acorn finials. Matching contemporary altar table. North porch: commemorative brasses record the installation of the mosaics and their cleaning (1913). Red and black floor tiles. Inner door has moulded pointed arch with leaf terminals on attached columns. Plainer south doorway opposite.

Donkin, V, "Mosaics at St Andrew, West Tarring", Church Building, Issue 56, March/April 1999, pp. 62-3. Pevsner, N, The buildings of England, West Sussex, pp. 392-3.





Listing NGR: TQ1309704017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302248

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 393-3
Donkin, V, 'Church Building' in Mosaics At St Andrew West Tarring, (1999), 392-393

End of official listing