CHURCH OF ST MARK, LORD MAYOR'S CHAPEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARK, LORD MAYOR'S CHAPEL, COLLEGE GREEN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355174 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 11:36:12.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARK, LORD MAYOR'S CHAPEL, COLLEGE GREEN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 58392 72838
ST5872 COLLEGE GREEN 901-1/15/66 (North East side) 08/01/59 Church of St Mark, Lord Mayor's Chapel
Church. 1230, south aisle added in 1270, tower in 1487, chancel and south aisle chapel in 1500 and the Poyntz chapel in 1523; roof of nave is early C16. N transept and W front were rebuilt in the restoration of the chapel by JL Pearson in 1889. MATERIALS: limestone stone ashlar and dressings, Pennant stone ashlar and rubble. PLAN: cruciform plan with tower over the E transept. Early Decorated Gothic nave and S aisle, the rest Perpendicular Gothic. EXTERIOR: 6-light Tudor arch E window divided in 3 by king mullions, with a hood and diamond stops; deep angle buttresses with gable tops, linked by a canted drip, and parapet above with crocketed pinnacles. N transept with diagonal buttresses running into slender attached shafts, and a 6-light pointed window. 1889 covered corridor beneath the N aisle on the site of the original cloister, with paired cinquefoil windows with mouchettes above between buttresses, beneath a roll-top parapet, and a slate roof. 4-bay nave, stilted arches on slender attached columns with 3 stepped lancets with trefoil heads and pierced spandrels, linked by a continuous hood. A crowded corbel table of various heads: grotesque, animal and human. The E window of the Poyntz chapel has an elliptical arch with 3 lights and angel hood stops, and a drip mould below the parapet with large carved gargoyles and central angels, and angle buttresses; the S elevation is 2 bays. Tudor-arched 8-light S chancel window with angel hood stops. Tower of 2 stages, of alternate stripes of Pennant and Bath ashlar as far as the first water table, and red sandstone above, with Bath ashlar angle buttresses and flush windows; Tudor-arched S doorway with a hood and panelled door; 2-light window above with trefoil heads, and a lancet to base of second stage and to 4 sides of the belfry, with fretted stonework; drip with 2 animals holding shields on each side, tall crenellated parapet and panelled pinnacles with crockets. 3-bay S aisle chapel with 4-light Tudor-arched windows with angel stops, and buttresses between with attached pinnacles; drip with clambering monkeys above the buttresses. The S aisle is hidden by an adjacent building. Much restored W front has a Geometric window with 8 lights and a rose, in a parapeted gable with buttresses either side and sundial on the right; the central doorway has 2 orders, with foliate caps and ball flowers on the moulded archivolt; on either side are a 2-light blind arches raised on a bench, all 3 are linked by a hoodmould. Decorated 3-light S aisle window with stellar tracery and chamfered reveals and foliate caps, all enriched with small ball flowers. INTERIOR: a very fine reredos of fretted tabernacle work rebuilt for Bishop Salley c1500: three hemi-octagonal canopied niches, the central one raised, with ogee arches to domed cupolas and flanking buttresses on angel corbels, with image stands and late C19 statues. Ogee-arched doorways to each side with crocketed hoodmoulds, and panelled doors with carved figures in niches. In between is a band of blind traceried panel, a frieze of openwork vine leaves, and a row of empty niches, and at the top a parapet of fretted stone with small pinnacles. At the centre of the screen is an altar painting by John King, 1829. Piscina and 4 sedilia in the same style, with a parapet of shields. The N transept arch of 2 orders with attached shafts and deeply cut foliate capitals, the outer order stilted, the inner continuing below the base to a head corbel; hoodmould to a head stop. C19 arch to vestry has king and queen hood stops, and a similar one to N corridor. The windows to N side of nave have attached shafts to bell capitals; the lower part of the window is blind; beneath is a sill band, interrupted by a doorway at the W end. Very flat tie-beam roof with gilded bosses and quatrefoil panels, and wall posts to angel corbels. The S transept arch contains the organ loft. In the base of the tower is door to stair turret, and 3 well-carved head corbels. The doorway to the Poyntz chapel has a Tudor arch with hollow mouldings and carved spandrels with a clenched fist (poing), a rebus of the founder; the top of the label mould is extended out each side; the splayed reveals are decorated with quatrefoil panels; at the E end are 2 richly carved canopies and an altar piece in the same style as the chancel, with slender image-stands with concave sides in the niches; 2 similar niches to the sides and at the W end, from which spring a 2-bay fan vault in which the spandrels bear shields of Sir Robert Poyntz and Henry VIII; in the N wall are 2 barrel-vaulted chambers with Tudor-arched doorways with intersecting mouldings, and the floor has C16 Spanish tiles, with a few English ones mixed in. 2-bay arcade to the S aisle has chamfered arches to an octagonal shaft and foliate corbels; hoodmoulds to head stops, and on S side of the shaft to head and shoulders of a bishop; E window above S aisle chapel contains a surround of pierced quatrefoils. 3-bay S aisle of blocked 2-light S windows with cinquefoil heads and deep chamfered reveals. The entrance to S aisle chapel has trefoil-headed panelled reveals, and an early C18 wrought-iron gated screen; the chapel is linked to the chancel by a squint, and has a canopied piscina and niches between the windows in the style of the chancel; roof has gilded bosses with Tudor roses. FITTINGS: C19 choir stalls with poppy heads, pews with arms and Lord Mayor's thrones with poppy heads and horses holding shields either side at the front. Octagonal stone pulpit with ogee niches and crocket finials to the arches and buttresses. Sword rest of 1702 by William Edney, wrought-iron with gilded leaves and monogram of Anna Regina. Stone font at W end of S aisle, an octagonal shaft and flared basin. MEMORIALS: chancel has a very fine dresser tomb of Bishop Salley, d.1516, a recumbent effigy of the Bishop on a panelled chest, beneath a richly carved ogee hood with pendant cusps and open work parapet, in the style of the reredos, which was the gift of the Bishop; to N is the dresser tomb to Sir Maurice Berkeley d.1464, of a knight and his lady on a panelled chest beneath an elaborate ogee hood with angels to the cusps and large finials, with 2 painted shields held by standing lions; restored by Salley and in same style as his tomb. Nave has an empty memorial niche in the N nave, a Tudor arch with carved spandrels and trefoil panels beneath; memorial tablet to Thomas Harris d.1797, by Thomas Paty, an oval slate panel with a marble sarcophagus on animal feet, with finely carved swag and an angel standing against a panel with a relief head; beneath is a brass memorial tablet inscribed to William Searchfield d.1647; fine dresser tomb to William Birde d.1590; Elizabethan style, painted panels to the chest, 4 reeded, fluted Ionic columns to a richly carved canopy with friezes of mermen, with a large shell pediment and shield, flanked by terms; dresser tomb to Richard Berkeley d.1604 to S of door, Classical style, a recumbent figure on a panelled chest, with a Corinthian aedicule with marble shafts, carrying an epitaph. S aisle has a wall monument to Thomas James d.1619, a painted stone aedicule on brackets with Corinthian shafts and a broken pediment, containing a kneeling figure within an arch; marble wall monument to Henry Bengough d.1818 by F Chantry, signed and dated 1828: a full-size seated figure over a plinth; large wall monument to William Hilliard, d.1735, by Thomas Paty, with a rusticated base with a semicircular-arched doorway beneath 3 pedestals, the side pair with putti and central one bearing a black marble sarcophagus with a bust on top; behind is a pediment with drapes, and a tall slate obelisk above; chest tomb of a merchant c1360, Perpendicular Gothic style with traceried panels, a recumbent man within an ogee arch and elaborate finial, a rare example of a C14 monument with a figure in civilian costume; marble wall monument to John Cookin d.1627 aged 11, an alabaster aedicule on pendant brackets with Corinthian capitals and a flat hood, containing a kneeling figure of a boy with a book; marble wall tablet to Catherine Vaughan d.1694, oval with a cartouche above; marble wall tablet to Henry Walter d.1737, an aedicule with fluted pilasters and Corinthian capitals and a swan-neck pediment containing a cartouche, with an apron of cherubs' heads; beneath it a C16 section of painted wall panel, and beneath that, a chest tomb with 5 heraldic quatrefoil panels. S aisle chapel has a dresser tomb of Maurice de Gaunt d.1230 and Robert de Gourney d.1269, 2 knights, the founders of the Hospital of St Mark's; the effigy of de Gaunt is a vigorously lifelike carving; dresser tomb to George Upton d.1608, Jacobean style, a wide aedicule with Corinthian capitals and a dentil cornice, with a recumbent effigy leaning on one elbow beneath an arch backed by a decorated panel with glass roundels, beneath a rounded moulding with swag; painted stone wall monument to William Swift d.1622, an aedicule with dentil cornice and round arch containing a kneeling figure in civilian dress, and a cartouche above; a large marble wall memorial to Sir Baynham Throckmorton and wife, 1635, a wide plinth with columns with Corinthian capital bearing a flat canopy, with heraldic shield in panel with broken segmental pediment, over are a recumbent couple, he in armour and she leaning half upright against the wall with a baby, backed by a keyed inscription flanked by pair of headless figures in classical drapes; wall monument to John Aldworth d.1625 and his son Francis d.1623, Perpendicular Gothic style, a traceried panelled plinth with octagonal shafts bearing a canopy with quatrefoils, and a parapet of foliage interupted by pinnacles, over 2 kneeling men; above this a wall monument of foliate side panels and a coffered arch, with a kneeling woman inside and an apron with a winged skull. In the E end is a large wall monument to Dame Mary Baynton d.1677 and her 2 sons: Baroque style, an expressive tryptych of the 2 men kneeling on pedestals hold drapes from a baldacchino above their mother, kneeling in a niche; behind the men is a Corinthian aedicule with a broken pediment and 2 obelisks, and beneath each are term brackets and an apron. STAINED GLASS: good quality and quantity, though not original, much was bought by the Corporation at the sale of Fonthill in 1823: second window in N aisle from Ecouen, 1550; E window 2 French saints, C15; in Poyntz chapel are 3 roundels of C15; E window of S aisle of Thomas a Becket from Fonthill; S aisle chapel has 24 German and Flemish roundels of C16 and C17. HISTORICAL NOTE: the chapel is the only surviving part of the Hospital of St Mark, founded in 1220. It was granted to the Corporation of Bristol in 1539. The original W window was removed and re-erected at Ridgeway, Westbury, in 1822. Until its restoration in 1889, carved screens and arcades of a style similar to the reredos extended along the sides of the nave and in front of the entrance. The Poyntz chantry chapel, uncompleted in 1520 on the death of Sir Robert Poyntz of Iron Acton, is a very fine example of late Perpendicular Gothic. The magnificent sequence of monuments forms an important element of the interior. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 392-395; Ralph E and Evans H: St Mark's, The Lord Mayor's Chapel, Bristol: Bristol: 1979-; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectual History: London: 1979-: 23,37,66,70-1,80,).
Listing NGR: ST5838772834
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 23
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 37
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 66
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 70-71
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 80
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 392-395
Ralph, E, Evans, H, St Marks The Lord Mayors Chapel Bristol, (1979)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.