CHURCH OF ST DENIS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST DENIS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355522.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:34:50.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST DENIS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- Little Compton
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 26169 30290
14/53 Church of St. Denis
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as parish
Church of St. Denis)
Church. C12 origins. C14 tower, the remainder rebuilt 1863-4 by E.G. Bruton. Squared coursed limestone rubble with C20-tile roof. Chancel, nave with short south aisle and south tower. Chancel of 3 bays with chamfered plinth, quoins, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to east with moulded kneelers and cross at apex. To east a C19 window in C13 style of 3 trefoiled lights. Hood mould with plain labels. To south three C13 re-used windows, each of a single light with trefoiled head, that to left set lower. To north a C19 gabled vestry with C20 tile roof and coped gables with kneelers. To east a Tudor-arched doorway with plank door. Trefoiled single-light window to right is perhaps re-used. To west a further trefoiled window of a single light, also perhaps re-used. Nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, quoins, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gables with moulded kneelers. To south, in angle of south tower and south wall of nave, a 2-bay aisle with parapet and coped gable with moulded kneeler to east. To east of aisle, and to two south openings a C19 square-headed window of 2 hollow-chamfered pointed lights. To left of south wall of nave a C19 gabled porch with pointed, ovolo-moulded doorway. C19 door. To left a re-set C14 pointed window of 2 ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil. C19 hood mould and plain labels. To north wall of nave three C19 windows in C13 style of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil-pierced plate tracery. Hood moulds with plain labels. To right a C19 doorway with hood mould and plain labels. Plank door. To left a C19 single-light window. To east gable end and to centre-right of north wall a C19 stone stack. To west wall a paired C19 window in C13 style with quatrefoil-pierced tracery. Hood moulds with plain labels. C14 south tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth. A weather-course divides the first and second stages to south and west. Flat buttress to second stage north-east and north-west angles. Offset diagonal buttresses to south-east and south-west angles. Saddleback roof with coped gables to north and south. The lower stage, which originally served as a chapel, has C19 or restored C19 chamfered doorway. To south wall a segmental-pointed window of 2 round-headed lights with chamfered surrounds, set slightly back, To east, visible from south aisle, a 2-light mullioned window, now blocked. To each face of second and third stage a double-chamfered rectangular light. Interior: to south wall of chancel, the easternmost window has a C13 moulded and trefoiled rere-arch. Window to centre has C13 moulded splays which continue into a moulded, trefoiled arch. Westernmost window has moulded, trefoiled rere-arch supported on shafts with moulded capitals. C19 trefoiled piscina in north wall. C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. 2-bay south aisle arcade with central round pier and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Double-chamfered arches, To west of arcade a C14 triple-chamfered tower arch. In east wall of tower a C14 altar recess with chamfered surround. In south wall a small piscina. C19 barrel-vaulted chancel roof, arch-braced collar truss nave roof and panelled aisle roof. C19 stained glass in chancel east window and aisle windows. Re-set in south-east window of chancel sane fragments of C16 glass from the Church of Villers, destroyed in 1918, Large C13 round font. In nave floor grave slabs to Thomas Juxon who died in 1643, to Elizabeth Pony who died in 1652, Sir William Juxon who died in 1739, and John Jones who died 1755, aged 57. In north wall of nave a wall tablet to Susanna, Viscountess Fane who died in 1792. She was wife of William Juxon, whose grave lies in the nave floor. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.51-52; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.340-341).
Listing NGR: SP2616930290
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 51-52
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 340-1
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing