Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355665.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Oct-2020 at 08:45:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 06721 43817


SHREWTON MADDINGTON STREET SU 04 SE (off south side) 3/255 Keeble and attached Annexe. II Vicarage, now house with attached services, now separate dwelling. Early C18 with late C18 and early C19 additions to north, late C19 remodelling dated by 1877 on rainwater heads and '1877 FB CVG 1895' inscribed on Wain door architrave. Flint and limestone chequers to early C18 range, remainder is brick and flint bands, tiled roofs with brick stacks. Small rectangular C18 house, with later wings added at right angles to rear, entrance front is now on left return of original house. 2-storey, 3-window front. To right is C19 6- panelled door in moulded stone architrave with date and inscription as above, and tiled canopy, inserted in C18 range, to left is 12- pane sash and tripartite sash. First floor has three 12-pane sashes, good cast-iron rain water heads. Hipped dormer to hipped roof of early C18 range to right. Right return is original front; C19 canted bay to left, partly cuts a blocked beaded doorcase, to left is a small casement in moulded architrave, to right are C20 French windows, first floor has three flush 12-pane sashes in moulded wooden architraves. Rear has 2-light mullion window with beading and dripstone to left, to right is 4-pane tripartite sash and 4-panelled door, first floor has blocked window to left and to right a pair of 8-pane sashes and one small 4-pane sash, C19 range has slate roof. Left return has 2-light beaded mullioned window and half-glazed door, with 4-pane sash, C20 window and 4-panelled door to left, first floor has casements and small sashes. Annexe attached to left is 1-storey with attic, 4-window; 4-pane sashes and cast-iron casements to rear with three dormers with casements to roof of rear, front has inserted garage doors, good stacks with stepped cappings. Interior has bolection-moulded fireplace in south-east room of original range, early C19 newel stairs with turned balusters and good 4-panelled doors. Reset on front wall of late C18 range, to left of door, is stone inscription panel with Latin inscription and date 1704, probably relating to the building of the house by Sir Stephen Fox who also rebuilt the chancel of the church (q.v.) in 1699. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU0672143817


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08482/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].