Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355757

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1985



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 23:25:00.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alderbury

National Grid Reference: SU 18239 26926


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 12 NE ALDERBURY TUNNEL HILL (north side) 5/21 Church of St. Mary


Anglican parish church. On site of Medieval church, 1857. By S.S. Teulon. Flint with ashlar quoins, tiled roof with coped verges and finials, spire with Welsh slates. Consists of north west tower, south porch, 6-bay nave, north aisle, chancel and transepts with north west vestry. North gabled porch is timber-framed on flint and stone plinth, doorway has pointed moulded arch with single shafts either side. To right are two nave windows: geometric tracery and two trefoiled lancets to west side. Chancel has large 3-light east window with geometric tracery and hood mould with unfinished terminals, north and south windows are trefoiled lancets. To north is registry room with shouldered-arched chamfered door and 2-light square-headed window. North transept or chapel has gabled roof with two trefoiled lancets and 3-light rose window to north, and trefoiled lancets to east and west sides. North aisle has 2-light windows with geometric tracery and doorway in pointed moulded arch with shafts either side string course below windows. 3-sided stair turret to tower has shouldered-arched doorway and lancets. 4-stage tower on north west corner is divided by string courses at each stage, windows are geometric style to 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages with heavy 2-light pointed windows with central column to 4th stage. Four gables to 4th stage with broach spire above, spouts with foliage carving. Interior: 6-bay nave has arch braced collar trusses to roof, on fine foliated corbels, pointed arcade on cylindrical columns, windows all with polychrome brick voussoirs. 3-bay north aisle has arch-braced collar roof. North and south transepts have collar rafter roofs. Chancel arch is C13 style with foliated capitals to three columns either side and angel terminals to hood mould. 3-bay chancel has arch-braced collar roof on foliated corbels. Wide pointed arches either side lead to organ loft and vestry. Fittings: Victorian pews and choir stalls. Screen behind altar is in pink tiles with mosaic vine decoration. Good late C19 stained glass including signed windows by Morris & Co Ltd in north transept chapel; to Robert Hutchings died 1910, fine east window in Pre- Raphaelite style to Countess of Radnor died 1879, and south transept window glass by Clayton and Bell. Altar rails have square wrought iron panels made up from Scott's screen removed from Salisbury Cathedral 1960. Wall tablet on south side of chancel to Thomas Stringer of Ivychurch died 1702, finely carved slate. A tablet on the north side has initials RGM below a shield with date 1612. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: SU1823926926


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319401

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing