EAST INDIA COLLEGE ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356174

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Statutory Address: EAST INDIA COLLEGE ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, 40, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST INDIA COLLEGE ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 19:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address: EAST INDIA COLLEGE ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, 40, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hertford Heath

National Grid Reference: TL 35160 10887

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT AMWELL LONDON ROAD TL 3510 (west side) Hertford Heath 14/6 No 40 (East India College Arms Public House)

GV II

Public House. C17 or earlier: extended forward, faced in brick. E wing added and roof altered c1808: stucco bands and quoins added and single-storey bar built at front in mid C19. Timberframed old structure weatherboarded, only showing at W gable. Red brick with slate roof, overhanging at front and E wing with plastered soffit. Black stucco dressings of plinth, floorband, eaves band, keystones and rusticated quoins on N and E fronts and paired brackets added to eaves soffit. 2-storeys, 5- windows front with gauged flat arches and recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes. In front of right hand three bays a florid stucco 1-storey stuccoed bar building with hipped slate roof and brick plinth. Central double doors with 2 segmental bay windows. In the angle on left 2 panelled doors linked under a flat hood with reeded pilasters and stepped brackets in Regency style. Large old lateral chimney protruder on back wall and red brick gable chimney at W. Known as The Jolly Pindar, after a manorial official, up to 1808 when the East India College (Haileybury) was founded. The centrepiece of the village group. (Matthews (1959) 64).

Listing NGR: TL3516010887

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355866

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing