HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1356765

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1999

Statutory Address: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHILLIES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356765 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:41:48.

Location

Statutory Address: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHILLIES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden (District Authority)

Parish: Buxted

National Grid Reference: TQ 49479 26496

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 42 NE BUXTED CHILLES LANE (East, off), High Hurstwood 995/19/10057 Holy Trinity Church

II

Church. 1870-71, principal benefactress Lady Catherine Vernon-Harcourt; clock tower 1903; vestry 1935. Coursed, tooled, stone with ashlar bands and dressings, upper part of clock tower timber-framed with pebble-dash infill; plain tile roof with decorative bands. 3-bay nave with north aisle, south-west porch raised as clock-tower, large gabled south-east window, and gabled bell-cote at east end. Apsidal chancel with north vestry. Large vestry addition to west end. In early English style, having: chamfered plinth; offset butresses; stepped roll-moulded sill-string; chancel impost band; pointed-arched doors and windows, those of nave with hoodmoulds and the principal nave windows having plate-tracery; ashlar coping to verges; metal rainwater pipes with decorative, dated, hoppers. Nave: large west window and gable chimney. South side: 3-stage porch/clock tower has angle butresses; hollow-moulded entrance with large lantern over; two chamfered windows above; a clock face and louvres to 3 sides of upper stage; and pyramidal roof with vents and decorative ridge tiles. Inner door, up 4 stone steps, has double board door with decorative strap hinges and nail-head decoration to corbelled arch of moulded architrave. Bellcote has 2 bells in pointed-arched openings with attached columns and quatrefoil over and Celtic cross finial. North side has Caernarvon-arched door and windows. Chancel: six chamfered lancet windows; decorative iron cross. Interior: 2-bay aisle arcade; corbelled dwarf columns support chancel arch. Nave roof has collared scissor-braced trusses with corbels to rafter supports; ribbed, decoratively-painted, chancel vault. Elaborate stone reredos with 3 tessellated niches; decorative iron balusters to altar rail; glazed and encaustic tiles to sanctuary steps. Octagonal font. Bench pews, the easternmost having panelled front and top-rail pierced with quatrefoils.

A good-quality rural church of 1870.

Leaflet, Holy Trinity Church, High Hurstwood.



Listing NGR: TQ4947926496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476996

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing