WROXHAM SIGNAL BOX

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1356772
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
WROXHAM SIGNAL BOX

Map

Ordnance survey map of WROXHAM SIGNAL BOX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356772 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 17:09:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
WROXHAM SIGNAL BOX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoveton
National Grid Reference:
TG 30312 18644

Details

TG 31 NW HOVETON Wroxham Signal Box 1237/7/10009 II

Railway signal box. Built in 1900 for the Great Eastern Railway probably by McKenzie and Holland. Timber framed on a brick base with some weatherboarding and a Welsh slate roof. The lower storey has vertical joists with herringbone struts covered with horizontal weatherboarding. Two fixed windows 5 x 2 panes in the centre front with a door at the south end. The upper storey has seven windows 3 x 3 panes in front with two sliding sashes; two windows at each end, one sliding, with the door on the south end. Horizontal weatherboarding to the rear. Gable ends with louvres in weatherboarding. Low pitched gabled roof covered with Bangor Countess slates. Steel staircase and wooden gallery to upper storey with enclosed toilet cubicle, balcony with handrails to front and north end for window access. Interior has a 50 lever McKenzie and Holland frame dated 1900 with booking desk, lockers and tablet. History: Wroxham station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway in 1874 on the line between Norwich and Cromer, and the branch towards Aylsham was opened in 1879. This signal box, which controlled the junction, replaced an earlier one which stood on the station platform. It is the standard GER Type 7 design which was current from c,1885-1920's. References: Information from P.J.A.Bower; Michael A.Vanns, Signalboxes, Ian Allan, 1995, p 24; The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box, OPC, 1986.



Listing NGR: TG3031218644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477005
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Signalling Study Group, , The Signal Box: A Pictorial History and Guide to Designs, (1986)
Vanns, A , Signalboxes, (1995), 24

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].