Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1356980.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2021 at 21:33:56.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28583 79295


TQ 2879 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER EATON SQUARE, SW1 1900/98/11 (North East side)

24-FEB-1958 Church of St Peter


Church 1824-27, classical Commissioners' church by Henry Hakewill, roof and interior restored, with minor alterations, 1837 by Charles Jearrad and J.H.Hakewill following fire. 1873-5 recasting by Arthur Blomfield, chancel of 1873, nave with Romanesque interior 1875, destroyed by fire 1987, refitted 1988-91 by the Braithwaite Partnership. Yellow stock brick, ashlar, stone dressings. Basilica, pedimented west portico, narthex carrying tower and cupola, rectangular nave, chancel with small north and south transepts, flanking chapels. Hexastyle Ionic portico, with plain entablature, after the west portico of the Erectheum, set on 4 steps, surmounted by pediment. Pilasters at rear angles, 3 tall doorways with moulded architraves, flat cornices on carved brackets, each with pair of doors with fielded panels. Coffered ceiling. Tower set on wide stylobate with tall plinth forming clock stage, each face with a clock. At bell stage, louvred round arched opening flanked by Ionic half columns with pilasters at the angles. Cupola set between pedimented blocks at the angles and surmounted by gilded metal cross. 5 bay return elevations, brick with stone dressings, the nave with 4 tall round headed windows linked by moulded stone bands, with plain rectangular lights with clear glass. The narthex, articulated by pilasters, breaks forward slightly, with slightly battered lower rectangular window and upper circular light.. Pedimented attic in stone, with plain recessed panel. Plain cill band, broken by the pilasters, simple entablature. North and south transepts and chancel 1873 by Blomfield, stock brick, in Romanesque manner, but echoing the style of the original church. Pedimented transepts with north and south entrances set between angle pilasters. Each with pair of doors beneath tympanum with circular glazed feature, under semicircular brick arch. Small roundel to each side. Above, three round-arched windows, defined by pilaster strips, linked by continuous moulding above, corbel table below. East and west elevations similar round-arched windows, two simple round-arched openings below. Tall round headed window echoing those of the nave, with open pedimented niche below. South chapel range of 5 round headed windows, stained glass intact, circular window above. East end not visible. Interior. Narthex part remodelled after fire. Open well south stair of stone with iron balustrade. Former stair to north removed. Nave entirely remodelled 1990 lowering ceiling and obscuring internally remnants of Blomfield's chancel except for part of sanctuary and south chapel, now sacristy and vergers' room. Blind arcade of green reeded marbled piers enclosing mosaic of Christ in Glory. Open arcade to left, formerly above sedilia, of annulated marble shafts, links to south chapel. South chapel lined with alabaster sheets, engaged marble shafts at chapel's sanctuary support moulded timber arch of timber barrel vaulted roof. Pair of round arched lights flank upper circular cinquefoiled light, with moulded arch on short shafts. Glass probably by Clayton and Bell. 5 south windows under marble arcade with engaged shafts, glass not attributed. Mosaic floor with monogram and keys of St. Peter. Monuments. George Howard Wilkinson, Bishop of St. Andrews, Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, d. 1907, by W.R. Lethaby, recumbent figure in Bishop's robes, in marble on stone base. Victor John Fergus Ferguson, d. 1896, Major, Royal Horse Guards, stone tablet with a cross, sword and shako above, shield of arms below, signed Gaffin, Regent Street. Mary Georgiana Cathcart, d.1852, stone stele with lily in relief at the top, signed Bedford, 256 Oxford Street. Harold Wingfield, Midshipman,on H.M. S. Newcastle, drowned in the China Sea, 13 Decr. 1870, blue glazed tiles in lunette.

The Buildings of England, London I, The Cities of London & Westminster, 1973. Council For The Care of Churches, Westminster, St. Peter, Eaton Square, Greater London, 1989.

Listing NGR: TQ2858379295


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London I: The Cities of London and Westminster, (1957)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03503/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Alison Lee. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].