CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ABERFORD ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357161 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 00:28:33.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ABERFORD ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
- Barwick in Elmet and Scholes
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 40085 37410
BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES ABERFORD ROAD
SE4037 LS15 (north side),
17/17 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Fragmentary remains of Anglo Saxon and Norman church; C14 chancel; C15 aisles, clerestorey and tower, repaired with new parapet and pinnacles c1869; mid C16 south porch and chancel vestry doorway; early C19 vestry; restored 1844-55 by G. Fowler Jones (York) under a scheme devised by Sir G. Gilbert Scott. Large dressed stone, limestone to lower half of tower, Welsh blue-slate roof. West tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular style. Continuous plinth, diagonal buttresses at all corners. Tower: 2-stage embattled tower. West face has pointed-arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders under hoodmould; 3-light window above has panel tracery, hoodmould with carved face stops; above left, niche with sculpture of the benefactor Sir Henry Vavasour holding in his hands a block of stone, inscription under has date 1455; another niche above to right (vacant) has inscription of Richard Burnham; large clock-face below 2nd stage band; 2-light belfry window, parapet carried on corbel table. South face: 5 small arrow slits one above the other to light stair. Nave: 4 bays. Porch set in 2nd bay of aisle has pointed-arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders, hoodmould; above, much-weathered niche in apex of coped gable with kneelers. Set within, 2-centred arched doorway with richly-moulded surround, hoodmould with carved face stops. Porch has 2-bay arch-braced roof with moulded principals, purlins and ridge piece. Aisles have 3-light traceried windows set in square chamfered surrounds (all renewed C19), articulated by offset buttresses. Clerestorey has 2-light windows with cusped lights and sunken spandrels in square double-chamfered surrounds. Coped gable to nave surmounted by carved apex-stone with cross. Lean-to aisles have coping, and in their inner return, 3-light 2-centred arched windows formerly to chapels. East gable of nave has earlier flatter roof line of chancel now more steeply pitched. Chancel: lower, 3 bays; Anglo-Saxon herringbone masonry to each face, renewed windows one retaining original limestone double- chamfered surround, articulated by offset buttresses; 1st bay has added vestry at right angles with, in its gable, pointed-arched sash window with Gothick glazing. East end: chancel has 5-light window with curvilinear tracery (renewed) set within original hollow-chamfered surround with much-weathered hoodmould; C19 coped gable surmounted by cross. To right, vestry faced in limestone has doorway with wedge lintel flanked by pointed-arched windows with Gothick glazed sashes. Interior: pointed-arched arcades of 2 orders carried on octagonal columns with monolithic capitals; tall tower arch of 2 chamfered orders with broach stops, moulded capitals decorated with fleurons. C19 hammer-beam roof. C19 chancel arch carried on corbels with carved heads. Chancel: Norman window with deeply-splayed sides, projecting moulded cornice. Curious vestry doorway has ogee lintel and hollow chamfered surround with Decorated hoodmould, carved face stops of crowned kings. 3-bay C19 hammer-beam roof with finely-carved angels. Set below east window, corners of earlier window at lower level. Furnishings: hexagonal Georgian pulpit with oak raised-and-fielded panels, carved mouldings and inlaid panels, dentil cornice, carved reading desk on consoles. C19 pews. Monuments: memorial to William Eamonson of Lazingcroft c1781 has segmental broken-pediment surmounted by urn, apron decorated with shells. 2 marble monuments, memorials to the Wilkinsons of Potterton Hall (q.v.). Raised stone slab with the Gascoigne coat above medieval grave slab. Monument to William Vevers of Scholes c1767 has segmental pediment surmounted by open triangular pediment, cartouche with heraldic coat. Good memorial to William Ellis of Kiddal Hall (q.v.) c1771. Royal Coat of Arms. C19 stained glass: east window by Clayton and Bell (London) c1867, east window of north aisle c1858 for the Gascoigne family with heraldic symbols and knights in C17 armour and tabards. Preserved in south aisle, 2 important fragments of C10 cross shafts, one with interlace design of Ringerike type, the other of Christ blessing children.
R. A. Carter, Yorkshire Churches, (1976) p7. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) p95. D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture,(1978) p379. F. L. Fleetwood, church guide, (1983). R. Thoresby, Ducatus Leodiensis (1715) p234.
Listing NGR: SE4008537410
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Carter, R , A Visitors Guide to Yorkshire Churches, (1976), 7
Fleetwood, F L , Church of All Saints Barwick Church Guide, (1983)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 379
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 95
Thoresby, R , Ducatus Leodiensis, (1715), 234
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing