MILESTONE BY BOUNDARY WALL ABOUT 9 METRES NORTH OF PATTENDEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357451

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: MILESTONE BY BOUNDARY WALL ABOUT 9 METRES NORTH OF PATTENDEN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILESTONE BY BOUNDARY WALL ABOUT 9 METRES NORTH OF PATTENDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 14:07:31.

Location

Statutory Address: MILESTONE BY BOUNDARY WALL ABOUT 9 METRES NORTH OF PATTENDEN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Martock

National Grid Reference: ST 46137 19107

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Milestone etc., Pettenden, Church Street. 12/196 9/196

------------------------------------

Milestone etc., Pettenden, Church Street. 12/196 9/196

------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (East side)

12/196 Milestone by boundary wall, about 9 metres north of Pettenden -

GV II

Milestone. Probably C18. Ham stone pillar, about 450mm wide x 200mm thick, about 1.2m high, with triangular top. Inscribed in Roman lettering "To Wells /XX/To Somerton/VII". The old Bristol-Dorchester road went through Martock (Ogilby 1675); it was turnpiked in 1761 when the Martock and South Petherton United Trust was formed. (Bentlev J.B and Murless B.J: Somerset Roads: Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society, 1985).



Listing NGR: ST4613719107

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422615

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)

End of official listing