135-153, COMMERCIAL STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1357541

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1990

Statutory Address: 135-153, COMMERCIAL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 135-153, COMMERCIAL STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 14:26:55.

Location

Statutory Address: 135-153, COMMERCIAL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Tower Hamlets (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 33622 81986

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:-

Commercial Street TQ 3382 + 3381 8 + 14/6014 Nos. 135-153 (odd)

II GV

Artisans' flats, now shops and flats. 1863-4 by Henry Darbishire for the Peabody Trust. Yellow brick with red brick dressings and stuccoed window arches; gabled slate roof; brick stacks 4 storeys and attics; 23-window range of 3:2:4:2:4:2:4:2 fenestration with shaped gables to slighty projecting 2-window bays. Channelled rustication, articulated by pilasters to moulded dentilled cornice, to lower 2 storeys: mid C19 shop fronts with pilasters and half-glazed doors to Nos. 135, 139, 141, 149, 151 and 153 and flat rusticated brick arches over central doors flanked by keyed flat arches over 6-pane sashes; similar first floor windows. Keyed and stuccoed segmental arches, and ogee arches to gabled bays over 6-pane sashes to upper storeys; keyed architraves to continous attic windows. Rounded angle to Folgate Street is fronted by stack and has 3 tall windows set in rusticated semi-circular arches flanking doorway set in keyed brick architrave with pilasters to dentilled entablature. Similar elevation to Folgate Street, with pedimented entrance and without shop fronts. Interior not inspected. The earliest building erected for the Peabody Trust, and a significant example of mid-Victorian philanthropic and artisan housing: the original design incorporated shops, artisans' dwellings, laundries, drying areas and baths. (The Builder, 1863, pp 547-8; 1864, p 67; J N Tarn, Five Per Cent Philanthropy, 1973, pp 44-6; J E Connor and B I Critchley, Palaces for the Poor, 1984, pp 16-18.

Listing NGR: TQ3362281986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 206508

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Connor, , Critchley, , Palaces for the Poor, (1984), 16-18
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1864), 67
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1863), 547-8
Tarn, N , 'The Builder' in Five Per Cent Philanthropy, (1973), 44-6

End of official listing