3 AND 5, PRINCELET STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1357543
Date first listed:
09-May-1990
Statutory Address:
3 AND 5, PRINCELET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3 AND 5, PRINCELET STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357543.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 17:34:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
3 AND 5, PRINCELET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33786 81864

Details

THE FOLLOWING BUILDING SHALL BE ADDED:

PRINCELET STREET TQ 3381 NE 14/795 NOS 3 and 5.

II GV

2 terraced houses. Circa 1720 built by Marmaduke Smyth, refronted late C19. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings; No 3 ground floor painted. 3 storeys, garrets and basements. 3 windows each. No 3 - plain stucco surround with cornice to doorway; boarded over door, cornice-head and overlight. Rubbed red brick flat arches to cambered sashes. Parapet behind which the garret with C20 metal framed casements and clad in corrugated sheeting. Rear considerably but not wholly rebuilt; fenestration intact. Interior - originally 2-room depth but dividing wall removed; front room has considerable amount of panelling, partial survival of box cornice and in the south-east corner, a slightly later fitted china cupboard with scallopped shelving. Original dog leg stair with Doric newels, column on vase balusters, moulded handrail and moulded closed string, all characteristic of Spitalfields houses of this period. Panelling on some stairwell walls. Mostly original doorcases and some original doors. 1st floor with panelling covered by wallpaper; 2nd floor probably also with covered panelling, front room with mid C19 marble fireplace having fluted console brackets supporting mantelshelf. Original roof timbers with scored construction lines visible. No 5 - exterior similar to No 3; stucco door surround with console brackets supporting cornice. Garret with original weatherboarding. Rear retains original privy with panelled door; C20 sanitary fittings. Interior - similar stair and stairwell to No 3; hall with arch having moulded architrave and keystone. Rooms with panelling and cornices. Garret, unusually for Spitalfields, has windows on 2 walls. Survey of London, Vol XXVII (1957).

Listing NGR: TQ3378281874

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206518
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Spitalfields and Mile End New Town Parishes of Christ Church and All Saints and the liberties of Norton Folgate and the Old Artillery Ground:Volume 27, (1957)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01553/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Clare Glenister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].