174 AND 176, EAST HILL, SW18


Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1357641

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: 174 AND 176, EAST HILL, SW18


Ordnance survey map of 174 AND 176, EAST HILL, SW18
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1357641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 20:26:41.


Statutory Address: 174 AND 176, EAST HILL, SW18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25984 74708


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1207/12/10 Nos. 174 and 176

14/7/55 II*

Large house. Circa 1736, partially refenestrated in later C19. Built of stock brick with red brick dressings and slate roof in four hips to the rear. Three storeys and cellars; five windows to front elevation, six to rear. Bands between floors and deep band to parapet. Red gauged flat arches and dressings to windows, which are late C19 sashes with horns but no vertical glazing bars. Red quoins to front. Central wooden doorcase with Doric engaged columns, triglyphs and pediment. Deep fielded six-panelled door. Rear elevation retains early C18 windows to right hand part with thick glazing bars and an early C19 curved three-light bay with thinner glazing bars. The early Cl8 interior survives largely intact, including stone floor and panelling to hall, first floor principal rooms and ground floor, doors, cupboards and other fittings, moulded timber and plaster cornices, shutters and some bolection moulded fire surrounds. The upper flights of the contemporary staircase with moulded handrail and turned balusters also survive. The first known occupant recorded (in Vestry Minutes for 1772) was a William Vander Esche Esquire. In the early C19 it was used as a 'Boarding School for Young Ladies'. This is one of the earliest and the best preserved of the middling size houses of wealthy Huguenot or Dutch immigrant families who lived in Wandsworth and Putney in the early Cl8.

Listing NGR: TQ2598474708


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 207032

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing