AVENUE STUDIOS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1358149

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: AVENUE STUDIOS, FULHAM ROAD

Statutory Address: AVENUE STUDIOS, SYDNEY MEWS

Map

Ordnance survey map of AVENUE STUDIOS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:22:31.

Location

Statutory Address: AVENUE STUDIOS, FULHAM ROAD

Statutory Address: AVENUE STUDIOS, SYDNEY MEWS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26945 78556

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TW 2678 NE FULHAM ROAD (OFF) 47/40 (north side)

Avenue Studios (Sydney Mews)

II

Circa 1870. Stock brick, stucco dressings, Welsh slate roofs. The studios occupy the sites and much of the buildings of the former Cranley Mews, laid out in 1844 to serve the houses of Onslow Square. Two long, irregular ranges, mostly of 2 storeys, rising by half a storey in places to give extra studio height. The ranges are linked by a long central corridor. Some sash windows with glazing bars, some small paned casements, mostly with segmental heads. Walls partly stuccoed. Impressive entrance of 4-panel door with sidelights, patterned head bands, fanlight in rusticated pedimented surround. Listed mainly for historical reasons as the workplace of many important artists, among them Edward Poynter, Alfred Gilbert, Philip Wilson Steer, and Joseph Boehm, successor in Royal patronage to Baron Marocchetti, the first artist to turn part of the mews into a studio.

Listing NGR: TQ2694578556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203788

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing