EARLS COURT STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358162
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
EARLS COURT STATION, EARLS COURT ROAD SW5

Map

Ordnance survey map of EARLS COURT STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358162 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 17:57:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
EARLS COURT STATION, EARLS COURT ROAD SW5

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 25506 78539

Details

TQ 2578 NE EARLS COURT ROAD SW5

249/45/1 Earls Court Station

07.11.84 II

Underground station. Facade to Earl's Court Road 1906, by Harry W Ford. Train shed 1878 by John Wolfe Barry. Extended to Warwick Road in 1937. Main facade of buff glazed faience with green trimmings. Two storeys. Five bays wide. Shop to ground floor on left of station retains original shop windows with curved plate glass. Thermal windows above with timber glazing bars. Ionic columns between on projecting volute brackets. Segmental pediment to blocking course of centre bay. Balustrade over. Faience fascia inscribed `District Railway: Earl's Court Station. G N Piccadilly and Brompton Railway'. Entrance through three bays of buff faience, with white terracotta keystones over original windows which have timber frames and beading. Glazed roof to ticket area between steel trusses. Train shed with elaborate pitched roof and arched iron trusses running at right angles. Each district line platform has a timber `Earl's Court' sign incorporating underground map. Six classic timber seats with roundel backrest, with `Earl's Court' name. Circular booking hall to Warwick Road, whose 1970s addition on top has no merit. The 1930s entrance is of brown brick, wired glass in metal glazing bars and incorporating the Underground logo; concrete roof tiling. Faience band to inside of drum. In addition there is a separate escalator shaft leading into the Earl's Court Exhibition Centre, which is one of the best surviving escalator halls on the underground system, with bronze uplighters. The tiling to the Piccadilly line platforms has been renewed sympathetically to the original design.

Earl's Court is one of the most interesting of the complex, multi-period stations, with features of architectural interest from three principal eras of underground development.

Sources Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations David Lawrence, Underground London



Listing NGR: TQ2550678539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203756
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lawrence, D, Underground London, (1994)
Menear, L, Londons Underground Stations, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13996/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].