CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1358390

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1974

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHNS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358390 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 15:38:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHNS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hillingdon (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 04812 83512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UXBRIDGE

804/21/391 ST JOHN'S ROAD 06-SEP-74 UXBRIDGE MOOR (South side) CHURCH OF ST JOHN

II Commissioners' Church, now converted into offices. Built 1838 by Henry Atkinson. London stock brick with slate roof and stuccoed dressings. Simple box-like plan to the Atkinson church with a W porch and bellcote, and a later chancel(chancel not seen at time of survey, July 2004).

EXTERIOR: W end to the street with a stuccoed W porch with gabled parapet above a string course, set-back buttresses and a Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould. Clock face in moulded stuccoed roundel above. The church is gabled to the W with a stuccoed parapet and gabled bellcote at the apex. N and S windows with Y tracery.

INTERIOR: Not inspected but the chancel is understood to have been preserved as a single space.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as an 1838 Commissioners' Church, this is a characteristic early-Victorian church by the architect Henry Atkinson. It is representative of a district growing in population in this period and expanding its places of worship. St John's is a typical example of a Commissioners' Church: using inexpensive materials and keeping architectural decoration to a minimum. The design is successful, however, in overcoming barriers of cost to produce an attractive church. Its stock brick and stucco dressing mirror the materials used in many London domestic buildings of this period and the side windows and porch are elegantly executed. It marks the end of the Georgian approach to Gothic design, before Pugin's writings and designs led to such a major change in church buildings. While the loss of interior features is regrettable, the exterior is intact and the church fully merits listing at Grade II.

SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 4, North, 1999, p 358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 202958

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 4, North, (1998 revised 2001), 358

End of official listing