Lovekyn Chapel

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1358425

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: Lovekyn Chapel, 105, London Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT2 6NH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lovekyn Chapel
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:16:36.

Location

Statutory Address: Lovekyn Chapel, 105, London Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT2 6NH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 18575 69358

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/06/2018

TQ 1869 SE 7B/7

KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES LONDON ROAD (north side) No 105, Lovekyn Chapel

(Formerly listed as Lovekyn Chapel, Kingston Grammar School, previously listed as Chantry Chapel of St Mary Magdalene (also known as Lovekyn Chapel) LONDON ROAD)

30.7.51 II* A chantry chapel founded by Edward Lovekyn in 1309 partly rebuilt in 1352 and much renewed in 1886. Became Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School in 1561 and subsequently renamed Kingston Grammar School, which it has been a part of ever since.

A plain rectangular building with gabled east and west ends and octagonal corner turrets at the east end. Three bays wide. Originally flint-faced but the east wall and the two eastern bays of the south wall were re-faced with ashlar in the late C19. The turrets are also ashlar-faced. The east and west windows are similar, having three light cusped Perpendicular windows. Two light side windows. Only one of the three in the north wall is now open. On the south side, only the two eastern bays now have windows; in the western bay is a two-centred-arched doorway. Three bay interior, with two cusped arches set in north and south walls between windows. Corbel in form of carved head attached to a mullion at the east end. King post roof. (Victoria County History for Surrey).

Formerly a Scheduled Monument.

Listing NGR: TQ1857569358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 203139

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911)

End of official listing