OFFICE TO SOUTH OF GRANDSTAND AT FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358582
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
OFFICE TO SOUTH OF GRANDSTAND AT FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, STEVENAGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OFFICE TO SOUTH OF GRANDSTAND AT FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 04:00:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
OFFICE TO SOUTH OF GRANDSTAND AT FULHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, STEVENAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 23675 76558

Details

TQ 2376 Stevenage Road (West Side)

9/46 Office to South of Grandstand at Fulham Football Club.

GV II

Pavilion to football club. Built 1905 to the design of Archibald Leitch. Eclectic style with Queen Anne Revival features.

MATERIALS: Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof.

PLAN: 2 storeys 4 bays. The interior originally comprised offices, a caretaker's flat and billiard and card rooms.

DESCRIPTION: Front elevation has full-height bay windows to left-hand bay; third bay flanked by chimney stacks and surmounted by small scrolled pediment. Ground floor windows have scrolled gables; those to upper floor bay window with carved capitals. Timber sash windows with small panes to upper lights. The elevation facing the pitch has a first-floor balcony originally for the use of Directors and club officials; this is carried on cast-iron columns with decorative spandrels and has ornate cast-iron balustrading with roundels. Central gable to the roof with bargeboarding and mock timber framing. Entrances on side elevations with steps to upper floor. The interior is much altered and contains few original fittings.

HISTORY: Fulham FC was founded in 1879 and moved to its present site in 1896. Its popular name: 'Craven Cottage' alludes to an C18 cottage orné which once stood on the site.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as an integral part of early football ground and as the only surviving pavilion in a senior British football club.

SOURCES: English Heritage: Fulham Football Club, Historian's report, 1987; Simon Inglis: Football Grounds of Britain, 1996; Simon Inglis: Engineering Archie, 2005

Listing NGR: TQ2367576558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201947
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inglis, S, Football Grounds of Britain, (1996)
Inglis, S, 'Played In Britain' in Engineering Archie Archibald Leitch Football Ground Designer, (2005)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12137/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barry Akid. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].