No. 10 (Kent House) including railings and gate

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358597
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
10 Lower Mall, Hammersmith, London, W6 9DJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of No. 10 (Kent House) including railings and gate
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 00:02:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
10 Lower Mall, Hammersmith, London, W6 9DJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22944 78211

Summary

An C18 house including railings and gate.

Reasons for Designation

Kent House, 10 Lower Mall, London W6 is listed for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* a good example of a mid-Georgian suburban house with an impressive façade facing the river Thames and having its original railings and servants’ wing.

Historical interest:

* the house demonstrates the fashion for villas built along the shores of the river in the C18 to the west of London.

Group Value:

* with other properties along Lower Mall including 8, 9, 11 and 12 Lower Mall (all Grade II).

History

Included as a fine C18 house with good surviving interiors, railings and servants' wing. The house later became a working man's club (a member of the Club and Institute Union): it added extensively to the rear of the house, with an extension of 1923 designed by the architect William Wadham, containing a billiard hall and a private theatre. The theatre is not regarded as of special interest.

Details

House. First recorded 1762 when newly built. Two shades of yellow brick, two storeys raised over basement; roof concealed behind parapets. Double range plan with projecting servants wing to rear.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical front of three windows wide set between projecting bay windows also three windows wide. High parapets with stone modillion cornice, sash windows to bays with gauged brick heads. Windows to first floor centre have arched heads, those to sides with 'Y' tracery and that in centre tripartite with arched top light. Door in tripartite surround with C20 fanlight over, flanked by medallions and set under band. Rear elevation of stock brick with red gauged brick heads on ground floor and yellow gauged brick heads on first floor.

INTERIOR: Hallway may have been remodelled in early C19, as the curved staircase - set against curved wall - has simple stick balusters, and a blocked window (now concealed) suggests some alteration. Shallow cornice. The north wall, opposite the main entrance door, has a symmetrical composition comprising a panel set between a door and a false door. Former drawing room has C18 plaster ceiling, frieze and cornice, and fireplace with terms. Cornices and fireplace too in former library behind hall, and cornices in adjoining room, now divided. Many original doors, architraves and skirtings. First floor retains cornices to the principal rooms, notably in curved room at eastern end of rear elevation which has modillions and enriched mouldings, and a frieze of alternate flutes and paterae. The central rear room appears to contain the original fanlight from the entrance door as part of an internal partition. Basement contains two vaulted rooms, while one room lined in stone may have given access from the river front to a rear yard.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wrought iron railings to front, ramped to central gateway (the latter renewed) and overthrow. Steps lead to raised ground floor.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201830
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bird, J, Norman, P, Survey of London: Volume 6: Hammersmith, (1915), 41-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00381/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Gapper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].