WALLS TO NORTH OF GOUGH PARK COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1358753
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1978
Statutory Address:
WALLS TO NORTH OF GOUGH PARK COTTAGE, CLAY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS TO NORTH OF GOUGH PARK COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358753.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 23:57:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALLS TO NORTH OF GOUGH PARK COTTAGE, CLAY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Enfield (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33277 98392

Details

1. 4411 CLAY HILL (North Side) Walls to north of Gough Park Cottage TQ 3398 3/280

II

2. Three ranges of tall mid late C18 walls. Red brick in Flemish bond sloped up on outer sides to coping of bricks on sides. Coping possibly later. Flat buttresses at intervals. The longest wall, running east-west through the gardens, has two pairs of gate piers, the eastern pair rebuilt at the top with replaced pineapple finials and supporting a wrought iron gate with ornamental overthrow. A spur wall runs north and is ramped up to a taller wall probably later in date, of larger bricks and having a blocked gateway. Some rebuilding to upper courses. The long wall is in poor repair at the west end, having lost several top courses. A wrought-iron fence with ornamental panels and spearhead standards, links it to the road. The walls are of interest as forming garden divisions in the estate of Richard Gough FSA, FRS (1735- 1809) the antiquarian and topographer, who came into the property in 1774. The Cambridge architect James Essex designed improvements to the now demolished mansion and may have laid out these walls.

Listing NGR: TQ3327798392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
200796
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].