Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1358833.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Oct-2020 at 08:51:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Haringey (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33938 91107


1. 4415 HIGH ROAD N17 (East Side) Tottenham -------------- No 744 (Warmington House) TQ 3391 7/96


House. 1828, extended to rear in C20. Stock brick with stucco dressings. Clay tile roof.

PLAN: 3 storeys high, 3 bays wide. Ground-floor is 2 rooms deep to either side of central hall and rear stair leading to first-floor. First and second floors rooms arranged around longitudinal landing. Secondary stair at N end of first-floor landing.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical façade, partly obscured on N side by No. 744(A). Banded rusticated stucco ground-floor up to first-floor cill band, frieze; cornice band and parapet. Central 4-panel half-glazed door under rectangular fanlight. Sash windows with glazing bars (replaced) on ground and first floors and plain sash windows on second-floor. Moulded architrave to entrance (top section removed). Moulded architraves and unmoulded pediments to first-floor windows. Gauged brick arches to second-floor windows. Stair window on N side elevation; Diocletian window to attic on S side. Some original sashes to rear elevation, including tall round-headed stair window with margin lights. 6-panelled door; modern shallow brick porch (not of special interest). Pitched roof. Single-storey rear extensions are not of special interest.

INTERIOR: Interior retains original room plan form. Hall has cornice with paterae. Double-door openings beteen front and rear rooms in S ground and first-floor rooms. Stair with mahogany handrail and swept rail to inner string, stick balusters (balustrade currently boxed in); ground floor newel replaced. Round-headed stair window has margin lights, panelled reveals and shutters. Secondary stair also has mahogany handrail, square balusters (a number missing)and turned newels. Elliptical moulded arch across second-floor landing. Other features of interest include some cornices (those to ground-floor S rooms with elaborate mouldings), some simple chimneypieces and grates, ceiling roses (ground-floor). Most door and window architraves survive, vertical sliding shutters to N ground-floor rear room and original six-panelled door, some panelled doors (a number may survive beneath modern flush panels), moulded skirtings and dado rails.

HISTORY: Warmington House is recorded in the Poor Rate books for Tottenham as being built in 1828. Its name derives from James Warmington, farmer, coal merchant and skin salesman, who occupied the property from 1851-76. A later occupant of some note was John Alfred Prestwich, manufacturer of cine cameras, who lived there from 1888-98 and went on to invent the JAP motor cycle petrol engine and to found the JAP Engineering Company. The house was a restaurant from 1911-23. The building was most recently the supporters' club and offices to Tottenham Hotspur FC.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Warmington House is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Of special architectural interest as a house of 1828 retaining its internal plan form, staircases, and a number of original features.

* Of historic interest as an important survival of the once-numerous Georgian houses that lined Tottenham High Road, one of the principal historic corridors into the capital.

SOURCES Victoria County History, A History of the County of Middlesex, Vol 5, pp 315-324 English Heritage Historians' file HAR/17

Listing NGR: TQ3393591106


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02552/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Quentin Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].