ST MARTHAS CONVENT (THE MOUNT HOUSE) WITH ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359027

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1949

Statutory Address: ST MARTHAS CONVENT (THE MOUNT HOUSE) WITH ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK, CAMLET WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARTHAS CONVENT (THE MOUNT HOUSE) WITH ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 22:51:35.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARTHAS CONVENT (THE MOUNT HOUSE) WITH ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK, CAMLET WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Barnet (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25340 97636

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5004 CAMLET WAY Monken Hadley

St Martha's Convent (The Mount House) with attached stable block TQ 2597 9/8 18.7.49

II*

2. Mid C18. A fine red brick mansion with stone dressings, quoins and string course. Two storeys. Main elevation of 5 windows with the centre 3 set slightly forward under pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central doorway on a large scale. Ionic columns frame a 6 panel door with a fanlight and pediment. Bullseye window in eaves pediment. Modillion cornice, parapet, hipped roof. Lawn elevation altered by 2 circa 1800 full height bows each with 3 sash windows. Cantilevered stair with 2 fluted balusters to each tread, and ramped handrail. The home 1836-1863 of J H Green the editor of 'Spiritual Philosophy; founded on the teachings of the late Samuel Taylor Coleridge', written in the house and published in 1866. Also the wartime home 1941-45 of the Architectural Association School. Stable block to the right of the house is contemporary. Red brick with tiled roof. Two storeys, 2 windows flank each side of a tall rusticated archway with pediment and clock tower over. Clock turret with 2 segmented and 2 triangular pediments on the faces, domed cupola above. Band between floors. Arched openings below. Bullseyes and sashes with balustraded aprons above. Screen walls of red brick flank the house with a pedimented archway ball finials on either side.

Listing NGR: TQ2534097636

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198831

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Green, J H, Spiritual Philosophy, (1866)

End of official listing