BECKENHAM PLACE MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359317
Date first listed:
28-May-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
BECKENHAM PLACE MANSION, BECKENHAM PLACE PARK, BECKENHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of BECKENHAM PLACE MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 12:19:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
BECKENHAM PLACE MANSION, BECKENHAM PLACE PARK, BECKENHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37859 70706

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2012

TQ 37 SE 1/7 28.5.54 4407

BECKENHAM PARK PLACE BECKENHAM Beckenham Place Mansion

(Formerly listed as Beckenham Place Park Golf Club House)

(Formerly listed as Beckenham Place, partly listed in Borough of Lewisham dated 30.8.54.)

II*

This mansion was built about 1773 for John Cator (1728-1806). It is rather similar to Damson Park, Welling, Bexley, designed by Sir Robert Taylor in 1765 and may be by him. It is built of ashlar and has 3 storeys. The main front faces south-east. 7 windows. The ground floor has long and short quoins and a stringcourse above it. Cornice above the second floor and blocking course. Hipped slate roof. In the centre is a curved bay of 3 windows on all floors. A modern balcony has been added to its 1st floor with an outside staircase leading up to it, as the principal rooms are on the 1st floor on this side of the house. The sides of the building have 4 windows each. On the north-west side is a central projection of which the sides are rusticated on the ground floor with, above, a large tripartite window. The centre light of this is round-headed and flanked by engaged Ionic columns with a pediment ever. The outer lights are flanked by Doric pilasters with a cornice over. 2 windows on the 2nd floor of each side. The north-west front of this projection forms a portico said to have been added in 1787 and brought from Wricklemarsh House, Blackheath. This gives entrance to the house at 1st floor level. 4 giant composite columns rising through 2 storeys support a pediment containing a cartouche of the arms of the Cator family set in foliage with the motto "Nihil sine labore". The portico contains a central doorway flanked by engaged Ionic columns with a projecting cornice over and rectangular fanlight. On each side of the doorway is a niche containing a statue. The principal feature of the interior is a central hall with a gallery and a small circular dome. The contemporary stables to the north-east of the house stand within the Borough of Lewisham in the County of London, NMR photograph.

Listing NGR: TQ3785970706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358443
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01100/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Smedley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].