PARISH CHURCH THE ANNUNCIATION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359325
Date first listed:
29-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH THE ANNUNCIATION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH THE ANNUNCIATION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 03:36:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH THE ANNUNCIATION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 43839 70931

Details

HIGH STREET, 1. 4407 CHISELHURST Parish Church. The Annunciation of Blessed Virgin Mary. TQ 47 SW 6/73 B

the grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Church. 1868-70 by James Brooks. Ragstone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Rectangular plan of tall, four-bay nave with clerestorey and small, lean-to side aisles; chancel expressed externally with lower roof, bellcote at south-east corner; Lady chapel, and vestry with prominent chimney. Gothic Revival style with singular flying buttress at north-east corner. Plate tracery to most windows of circle over two lancets. Large 'wheel' window in west gable with plate tracery, whilst the east window has five lancet lights, with three roundels above and bar tracery. Churchyard walls also of ragstone with ashlar dressings. INTERIOR. Nave has high timber roof with pierced ties. Four-bay arcade with pointed arches delineated by moulded strings above. Squat piers, round on south arcade and square on north arcade with square carved vine-leaf capitals. Octagonal font of pink and green marble on stone base with flat, carved wooden cover. Pulpit of carved wood on base of pink marble and stone. Original radiators and draft lobby screens at west end of nave. Chancel is richly decorated. Reredos of 1877 by Brooks, executed by Westlake, has gabled centre flanked by tiers of roundels. Base of chancel screen also by Brooks, 1877, with figures of the apostles by Westlake. Remainder, including rood, added in 1928. Wall paintings of 1882 and 1892 by Westlake. Mosaic over chancel arch designed by Westlake and made by Salviati in 1890. Stained glass in east and west windows, 1870 by Hardman to Brooks's design. Original Gothic Revival carved wood pews; patterned encaustic tile pavement, Ornate wrought-iron screen to Lady Chapel designed by Brooks.

------------------------------------

HIGH STREET, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 ------------------------ Parish Church. The Annunciation of Blessed Virgin Mary TQ 47 SW 6/73

B

2. 1870. Architect James Brooks. Detached tower of Norman shape. Nave and chancel of ragstone. Nave of 4 bays. Squat capitals with vine leaf moulding. Slate roof.

Listing NGR: TQ4383970931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358476
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/02261/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Michael Philpot. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].