CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359332
Date first listed:
28-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359332 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 18:00:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 38898 64854

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012

TQ 36 SE 13/25 28.5.54 4407

LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM Church of Saint John the Baptist

II*

Parish Church. Late C15, incorporating some earlier stonework. Baptistery 1825, north aisle widened 1844 as part of restoration by John Whichcord; organ chamber 1889 by J D Sedding; vestries added over and to north of chapel in 1961. Knapped flint with stone dressings; some stone to lower walls of chapel, rendered chancel. Tiled roof Chancel, nave with west bapistery, south tower with entrance porch beneath, north chapel and aisle, the latter doubled in width in 1844 to which the vestries abut to east. The nave, north aisle and tower refaced in 1844, when top oftower rebuilt with machicolations; the windows all C15 and mostly oftwo cinquefoil lights under straight heads. Interior. Arch to chapel C14, chancel arch and arcades may also predate the recorded C15 rebuilding; Two-bay chancel arcade, three-bay nave arcade much restored 1844-7. Chancel with medieval tiles, reset; mosaic pavement 1896. Fine fittings by Sedding include the organ case (organ 1860s), pulpit, linenfold panelling, chancel pews with poppyheads and rood screen (this last said to be C15 in origins and resited as parclose screen in 1991). Reredos 1930s. East window by Herbert Bryans, 1901; his also the small south-east window. South window by C E Kempe. Chapel with resited brasses, and three windows filled with early C16 stained glass figures reset in modern quarries after 1945. North-west window of chapel with glass perhaps by Willement. Nave with western gallery, perhaps of 1825 or a little later, on cast-iron columns; low, narrow bapistery behind built as vestry in 1825 and adapted 1912. Late C15 font. Late C19 pews. West window with figures by Herbert Bryans in mid-C20 quarries. Nine late C18 and early C19 hatchments in chancel and nave. North aisle with two windows by C E Kempe, 1896, and one by Powell of whitefiiars. by Bryans the two windows in the porch. Many memorials, including that of Samuel Lennard, d.1618, tomb chest, and Margaret Hobbes, d.1608, wall monument of small figure with stillborn child.



Listing NGR: TQ3889864854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15614/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Smedley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].