WAREHOUSE IMMEDIATELY AT REAR OF CORN EXCHANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359549

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1975

Statutory Address: WAREHOUSE IMMEDIATELY AT REAR OF CORN EXCHANGE, ANGEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAREHOUSE IMMEDIATELY AT REAR OF CORN EXCHANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:30:14.

Location

Statutory Address: WAREHOUSE IMMEDIATELY AT REAR OF CORN EXCHANGE, ANGEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 84906 55024

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8455SE ANGEL STREET 620-1/12/24 (South side) 04/06/75 Warehouse immediately at rear of Corn Exchange

GV II

Remains of C15 hall adapted and partly rebuilt in C17/18, incorporated into inn (The Ewe and Lamb) by 1766 and probably used as warehousing from 1848. PLAN: The original building has stone walls and was at level of present cellar floor, the west wall has two four-centred and blocked openings, one square-headed opening also blocked, and inserted fireplace. In C17 or C18 a brick vaulted cellar inserted and floors and attic added. Stone walls largely rebuilt in brick, the south wall demolished and extended in C17/18. Exterior: East front largely red brick, steeply pitched tiled roof with gable ends. Two storeys with attic and cellar. Two C18 gabled dormers. Ground floor has various segmental arch-headed openings one with original moulded stone jamb. First floor has two casements with segmental brick arches and three-light window between the left first-floor door with loft door above through eaves with flat roof and hoist. INTERIOR: Heavy cross beams of C18, with tenoned joists. See PLAN for C15 features. HISTORICAL NOTE: it seems probable that the building formed part of the Ewe and Lamb public house; by 1779 the tenancy had passed to James Clarke, musician, who changed the name to the Horn and Trumpet, a name which has been retained, but attached to another building opposite (qv). The Corn Exchange (qv) was built on the site of the frontage of the public house in 1848, by which time this hall had become warehousing. (Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society: Molyneux N: A Late Medieval Stone Building in Angel Street: Worcester: 1980-: 262-8).



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 488489

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing