CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1359705
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359705 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 04:16:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Bolingbroke
National Grid Reference:
TF 34951 65136

Details

BOLINGBROKE MAIN STREET TF 36 NW (south side) 1/30 Church of St. Peter 3.2.67 and St. Paul G.V. II*

Parish church. c.1360, possibly for John of Gaunt. Partly destroyed in the Civil War, restored 1866 by James Fowler of Louth, and again in 1889. Squared greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar, Westmorland slate roofs. Nave, north aisle, north western tower. The present nave was the south aisle of the Cl4 church. West end of nave has stepped corner buttresses and a large 4 light C14 window with flowing tracery. Above in the gable, a quatrefoil. 3 stage tower with stepped corner buttresses, plinth, 3 moulded string courses, embattled parapet, 4 corner and 4 centre pinnacles, with panelled sides and crockets. 2 light bell openings with cusped ogee heads. Continuously moulded doorway with above a 4 light C15 window with brattishing and panel tracery. Large animal head label stops. Above an ogee headed niche. C19 north aisle of 3 two light rectangular headed windows with ogee heads to the lights, pointed vestry doorway and tall rectangular chimney. At the east end a 3 light window in C14 style. East end of the nave has a large 5 light window with fine flowing tracery and deeply moulded head. South side has 3 three light windows with cusped heads to the lights and flowing tracery. Gabled C19 porch with moulded pointed outer doorway with demi shafts. C14 inner doorway with moulded pointed head, demi shafts with foliate capitals. To the east side a holy water stoup on octagonal pillar with cusped and crocketed canopy. Above the door a large blank quatrefoil and 2 figured corbels. Interior. C14 4 bay nave arcade, now giving access to the new north aisle, with tall continuously moulded pointed arches, and filleted orders with moulded bases. Small C19 pointed doorway into the tower. A large grotesque head is built into the wall. In the tower, the remains of a fireplace with 4 centred head, and above an inscribed tablet with stone surround, regarding a charity given by John Aldred, Rector, in 1653. At the east end of the nave, 2 blank small pointed openings flank the window. On the south wall an ornate C14 sedilia with crocketed pinnacles, and nodding ogee canopy. Beyond an ogee headed piscina. A further plainer piscina half way down the south wall, and a small statue bracket. Fittings all C19 apart from the C14 font which is octagonal, with elaborate stem with clustered chamfered shafts with pyramidal stepped bases.

Listing NGR: TF3495165136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196125
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04071/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].