CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1359743
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, HOBHOLE DRAIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359743 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:35:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, HOBHOLE DRAIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Midville
National Grid Reference:
TF 38470 57032

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/06/2015

TF 35 NE 5/27

MIDVILLE HOBHOLE DRAIN (east side) Church of St. Peter

(Formerly listed as Parish Church, no dedication)

3.2.67 II Parish church, formally closed for worship in 2014. Built 1819. Probably by Jeptha Pacey. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with bracketed eaves. Moulded cornice forming open pediments in the nave gables. Clasping pilaster strips. Further pilaster strips defining the bays of the north and south sides. Plinth. Nave and short chancel. West end with octagonal wooden cupola, each side with single pointed arched opening. Domed lead roof topped with weather vane. West wall with ashlar first floor band. Pointed arched doorway 4 steps up with plank double door. Over the band is an ashlar plaque inscribed '1819'. The north nave has 3 pointed arched 2 light windows with ashlar plate tracery and lead glazing bars. There is a continuous impost band broken by the pilasters. Under the windows set into the plinth are flush inverted brick arches. The east chancel has a single pointed arched 3 light window with plate tracery. The south nave corresponds to the north, however under the single outer windows are flush panels of narrow brick strips. Interior. Inner porch with doorway with panelled door leading to the gallery. Panelled west gallery supported on 2 cast iron columns. Doorway with double doors under, to the right is a single fixed light with pointed arched glazing bars. To the left is the vestry with panelled partitions. Pointed chancel arch. Painted octagonal font dated 1663, the sides decorated with shields. Cast iron Royal arms.

This church was one of many built in this area after the Fen Churches Act of 1816.

Listing NGR: TF3847057032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196240
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16772/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].