Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359927.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 13:07:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 16900 68863


BUCKNALL MAIN STREET TF 16 NE 6/12 Church of S t. Margaret 14-9-66 G,V. II* Parish church. C13, c.1300, C14, C16, 1884 restoration by James Fowler. Squared greenstone and limestone coursed rubble, ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, 2 aisles, south porch, chancel. The 2 stage tower is partly of C16 and was originally entirely of limestone. It has angled buttresses, plinth, string course, embattled and pinnacled parapet. The west door is C19, pointed and with hood mould. Above is a C16 2 light window apparently in situ with 4 centred arched heads to the lights and plain chamfered surround. To belfry stage are paired C19 cusped lights under pointed arches with hood moulds. The north aisle has 3 paired cusped C19 lights and a single plain window. At the east end of the aisle is a plain C19 lancet. At the east end of the chancel are triple lancets united under a moulded hood. The south side of the chancel has 2 paired lancet windows with a pointed priest's door between, all with moulded hoods and labels. In the south aisle east wall is a single lancet and in the south wall a plain rectangular light and a much restored C14 3 light window with cusped ogee heads to the lights, moulded surround and C19 hood. There is an entirely C19 cusped 2 light window beyond the porch and in the west wall a late C13 trefoil headed lancet. The south porch of 1884 is timber framed, gabled, with elaborate cusped bargeboard and the inner doorway is C13, single chamfered with hood. Interior. The tower arch is C19, single chamfered and pointed. The c.1300 north arcade is of 4 bays having quatrefoil shafts, moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and plain hoods. The late C13 south arcade is of 3 bays with octagonal pillars, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. There is no chancel arch. In the south aisle is a hacked back C13 piscina in arched recess. Fittings are all C19 apart from the C14 octagonal font with alternating blank arches on the sides and a scalloped octagonal pedestal. The C17 pulpit has been almost totally reconstructed in C19. This is a demi octagon with panelled sides and corniced top. In the panels are 2 stylised perspective doorways with chequered pavements and the central motif is an elaborate architectural frame with tapering columns, double consoles supporting a dentillated frieze with an open pediment. In the south aisle is a C17 chest with panelled front and paterae to the upper rail.

Listing NGR: TF1690068863


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16380/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].